Batch Sparge vs No Sparge acid additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsoncurt1980

Reaction score
I really like simplicity of No sparging, but I'm struggling determine how much acid to add when doing no sparge. So for example, when I enter my data into Brunwater for full volume of water (adding mash in water plus sparge addition) it will require large quantities of acid to get my mash PH down to 5.4. For the exact same recipe and volumes of water entered into brunwater(except just split between mash and sparge) total required acid is much much smaller. I think I understand why there is difference but would like to know if I should be concerned about getting my no sparge mash ph down to 5.4 or just settle with 5.5 which it would be without acid additions. I'm using 100% RO water. I can provide much more details on my specific recipe and quantities but this is more of a general question. What do you all think?

What?

Like how large is the quantity required?

For a yellow beer, I usually have to add 3ml. Tops.

Well for my 5.5 gallon batch using 12.75 lbs of grain, my total water is 9.83 gallons. It's telling me I need 19 ml of 88% phos acid to get that mash down to 5.4. That's the no-sparge. Using batch sparge,. Nothing is required for the mash and only 0.4 ml is needed to keep my sparge water down to 5.5.

Latest posts

Back