Batch Size Preference for Test Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTXBrauer

Reaction score
What say the HBT on the batch size you brew when trying to dial in on a new recipe. 1, 2.5 or 5 gallon (or any size in between)??

I normally brew 4-5 gallons for any new recipe I want to attempt, but I do have 1 gallon of Apfelwein currently in the works. I also would like to add a 3 gallon carboy to the mix for new ideas I would like to attempt.

I do a lot of 2 1/2 to 3 gallon batches, always with some recipe to work from but modified to what ingredients I have on hand. I don't bother with a 3 gallon carboy but instead ferment them in my 6 1/2 gallon bucket. They come out just fine that way and I don't have to find a place to store another carboy.

I like 2.5 gallon batches. 1 gallon is just too small. I like sharing test batches with people to get their feedback on a recipe, and I don't feel as if a single gallon let's me do that as much as I would prefer.

2.5-gallons is also very easy to scale up, and can still use your normal 5-gallon equipment.

Latest posts

Back