Batch Size and Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhoyt714

Reaction score
Since I started brewing All-Grain I have had some batches will lower efficiency and I think this may be related to me using a batch size of 5 gallons instead of 5.5 gallons(what is actually going in the fermenter) . I know efficiency is related to the amount of sugar in an amount of water.

If I up the batch size by a half-gallon I think this will increase the efficiency and get my actual batch size to where it should be.

Agreed, that will help.

I find the best way to dial in your efficiency is to be consistent then adjust your efficiency rating in the recipe to match what you normally get. Not everyone's system comes in at 75% or even 60%, just be consistent and go from there.

Efficiency is all about the amount of sugars that you convert from the starches in the grain and manage to get into the fermenter. It is a combination of the conversion you get plus any losses due to leaving wort behind in the mash tun, or in the boil pot by whirlpooling an leaving some wort behind. It doesn't matter if you get 5 gallons or 5.5 gallons into the fermenter, it only matters how much of the potential sugar you got in there.

If you get varying efficiency, unless you have your own mill, blame the crush because it is the single most cause of poor efficiency. Get the crush right, then you work on other aspects to increase your efficiency.

I don't have my own mill and I know that can be the largest contributing factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back