Batch of Joe's Ancient Orange Mead looks infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skizznits

Reaction score
Hey, first time brewer here. I basically did this is a milk jug (tisk tisk) and I'm worried I may have really screwed up. I've let it ferment for 2 weeks now, and I just opened the airlock for a second to see the mead finally. It looked normal from the outside, but on top there wasn't much foam left, just the oranges and raisins. The thing was it kinda looked like rotting fruit (though I suppose it is rotting fruit). Has anybody else gotten a film or paste of white/yellow goop on their oranges. Not much of it is touching the very little visible mead though, which is good. Any thoughts or suggestions?

What does it smell like? And, from what you can observe is the substrate is limited to the fruit? Infections in JAOM are uncommon, but not unknown.

Yeast cells often replicate on the fruit rind and drop from there. If it doesn't smell like nail polish or rotten eggs then you should be okay. If you're worried about it, give it a gentle shake to release the yeast from the fruit.

I had a JAOM not too long ago that was doing the same thing, and it turned out to be just yeast reproducing on the fruit.

Though, something worth mentioning. You do need to push the fruit cap down daily so that it doesn't dry out. If the fruit is dry for long enough, it's possible for it to become infected. But again, unlikely if you did everything right.

Probably nothing wrong with it.

If you do a JAO in glass it can get even weirder looking.....

Rotten egg/H2S is a sign of poor nutrition/stressed yeast, can't remember what the acetone smell signifies and vinegar smell is acetobacter contamination.

Floating colonies that have strands dropping down into the liquid aren't good.

Generally yeast floaters and manky coloured foam isn't a issue. With even basic sanitation procedures like a sulphite rinse after a good soap and water wash followed by rinsing, then the sulphite rinse makes infections much, much rarer.....

Post some pics and we can tell better. But my JAOM looked gross at the top too and wasn't infected, I think it's just a function of the floating fruit with the spices and a messy fermentation.

Looks like I had the same issue. I had it foam up on day 5-6 and I had to clean the air lock 3 times. been just over 30 days now and I had that thick white foam on top. It smelled like Oranges and Alcohol, and a faint honey odor. I shook it up like mezmiro suggested. The thick foam melted away into the must. I also saw a few lees whisp up from the bottom near the cinnamon sticks. A great fear is now lifted. I know Creamygoodness always says that it's hard to mess up JOAM, but I've been known to mess up a lot of simple things, like grilled cheese. LOL

Thanks guys! :mug:

Well its been a week and nothing is changed, except the fermentation is almost gone now. I think its probably okay, so thanks for the tips everyone!

Latest posts

Back