Purple Mangosteen Mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheezy_shoe

Reaction score
Hey, I joined a few weeks ago, but I really haven't had anything to contribute until now. I've got two meads in secondary fermentation right now, and should hopefully be done this week (a mulberry mead and a dragonfruit mead - if you're interested, I can share pictures later. What I will say now is that the dragonfruit mead is basically a hot pink color), but after that, I wanna start a new one. Recently, in my town there's been a bunch of people selling purple mangosteens. If you aren't familiar with them, no problem (for years there were banned from being imported into the US, and only about 10-15 years ago did it they start to allow it). I've got pictures below, but to summarize, each one looks like it's a kind of bomb-plant from a Super Mario Bros game or something, and when you cut into it, you see segments like an orange, but the texture of the fruit is more stringy, kinda like a mango, but not as stringy. The taste is very distinct and difficult to describe, but it is definitely both sweet and sour. I hope that I didn't get any of the skin/pith, though, since it's unbearably bitter (and traditionally is used to dye clothes).

If you are interested, I'll happily share my journey making this mead, and if anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to share - again, I've got about a week before I begin.

For starters, I had 5.8 lbs of fruit and got a total of 1.28 lbs of actual edible stuff out of it.
IMG_20230617_154909.jpg
IMG_20230617_155145.jpg
IMG_20230617_162451.jpg

I love mangosteens! To me they have a citrus grape flavor. They should make a nice mead.

I didn't know they were legal to import to the US. I ate them elsewhere.

Latest posts

Back