batch infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thekavorka99

Reaction score
so two nights ago i brewed my first batch of beer and since i am a beginner, of course i made a mistake. i put my 5 gallon batch of beer in a 5 gallon glass carboy to ferment. the next morning (about 10 hours of fermentation) i found some beer spilled on the floor, the airlock blew off and krausen was spilling over.

i cleaned airlock and put it back on the carboy, connected my siphon tube into the airlock and into a container with sanitized water. at that point i saw a lot of activity in the container with the sanitized water but right now i only see a bubble every 20 secs so im thinking of putting back the regular airlock since the beer calmed down.

is my beer infected? i dont know how long the carboy was without airlock and krausen was spilling, it couldve been 20 mins or 3 hours.

No,it should be fine with all that co2 & krausen blowing off. Sometimes initial fermentation only lasts one day. When it slows way down or stops bubbling,you can throw a clean,sanitized airlock back on it.

Back