Batch gone wrong - looking for some ideas!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xpops

Reaction score
about 5 weeks ago, i bottled a batch of the following chocolate oatmeal porter; https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=359746. Needless to say i was very excited this week to crack one open and give it a shot.

It ended up that something definitely went wrong with this batch; super thin body, the head fizzles away like a coca cola, and there's a bad soury "zingy" taste to it (not like a good sour beer).

-This beer finished off at a nice 1.024 - so i see no reason at all for there to have been a thin body...it was also mashed at 155 degrees.

-I added flaked barely to help make sure i'd have a nice thick resting head on it as a good porter should. i dont see why it fizzles out within 5 seconds like it does. the only thing i've read, is that overlong boils can cause excess proteins to coagulate and fall out, potentially causing head retention issues...it was a 90min boil but this doesn't seem "overlong" to me?

-sour "zingy" taste...it was the first time i've used W1968 - maybe a yeast characteristic?

This yeast was so freaking flocullant when fermenting at 64deg, to the point where i was cracking open the fermentors 2-3 times a day to rouse the yeast back into suspension - in a sanitized manor.

I'm personally looking at a potential infection of some kind - but don't have any infection experience. I'm hoping someone with some infection experience may recognize these 3 different brutal issues that has ruined what was supposed to be a very exciting batch! :(

thanks guys,

Finishing off at 1.024 I'm not sure about infection...unless its slowly working it down. I'd worry about bottle bombs!

I'll ask a dumb question. Did you chill this bottle of beer for a few days before opening? Long chills can improve head formation with some beers. The zingy, could be over carbonation.

Finishing off at 1.024 I'm not sure about infection...unless its slowly working it down. I'd worry about bottle bombs!

i was concerned about that too, and found it odd that it would remain that high if it were an infection...maybe hte next one i try i'll measure FG again.

It's been almost 6 weeks in bottles...no bombs yet! *fingers crossed*. When i first bottled, i even put the cases in big tupperware bins incase that happened...

I'll ask a dumb question. Did you chill this bottle of beer for a few days before opening? Long chills can improve head formation with some beers. The zingy, could be over carbonation.

yah the one i tried last night was in there for 6-7 days. when i bottled i aimed for carb level of about 1.9 vs 2.4 that i usually aim for in my APA and IPAs.

this has me thinking - i suppose if it was an infection, that could be producing extra carbonation as well....hmmm...sounds like i need to crack another and measure my FG on it! thanks for helping me work through that one! :mug:

Latest posts

Back