Batch did not carbonate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustywrench

Reaction score
Not really a first time brewer, but this is the first time I jhave had this problem. I brewed up a batch of pale ale. from an un named supplier that I have used for a lot of years. I have used this same beer kit numerous times over the years with stellar results. However, this time, it did not carbonate in the bottles. It has been in the bottles 2 weeks so should have done its thing by now. The brew tastes great, and has a hint of carbonation but not near enough. Is there anything I can do to save the batch? TIA

I'm really green at brewing, has it been refrigerated? if it's been refrigerated I'm sure all the yeast is dead but I know they sell carbonation tablets on amazon. maybe add a few per bottle and then wait another two weeks. cheers

No, hasnt been refrigerated (at least the majority of the batch) I stuck 3 bottles in the fridge last night with great anticipation. I did quite a bit of homebrewing 20 years ago, but just getting back into it. This was the first batch in a long time. I went with a kit that I used to use long ago. Never had a batch fail back then, I will look into the carbonation tablets. Thanks.

I have had times when mine take longer to develop the expected carbonation. And that is in spite of taking measures to keep the ambient temperatures stable and within a few degree Fahrenheit.

The last batch of beer I brewed in fact didn't seem to carb up sufficiently in two weeks. However 3 - 4 weeks later they were where expected.

It has been in the bottles 2 weeks so should have done its thing by now. The brew tastes great, and has a hint of carbonation but not near enough.
At what temperature did the beers bottle condition?

Is there anything I can do to save the batch?
Assuming the bottles in a ~65F-ish environment, wait two weeks and try a bottle.

I agree that time will probably solve your problem, but just out of curiosity can you give a few more details on the kit and how you brewed it? Did you leave it in the FV longer than previous batches? Did you cold crash, and if so how long? Etc. Etc.

FWIW, I've gotten into the habit of filling a couple of small plastic water bottles from each batch. Squeeze so there's no head space and cap tightly. The beer is carbonated when the bottle has head space again and is stiff.

Priming sugar was the same quantity that I alway use . 3/4 cup in 5 gallon batch. It is sitting in the bathtub in a seldom used bathroom which is cooler than the rest of our house. (just in case bottles pop) I have normally set the beer in the same tub for the same reasons. We did have a week long stint of below zero temps and Im sure that room was a bit cooler as well. I have been wondering if that was the issue. Guess I will give it 2-3 weeks more and see what happens. May even move it to a warmer room.

I agree that time will probably solve your problem, but just out of curiosity can you give a few more details on the kit and how you brewed it? Did you leave it in the FV longer than previous batches? Did you cold crash, and if so how long? Etc. Etc.

FWIW, I've gotten into the habit of filling a couple of small plastic water bottles from each batch. Squeeze so there's no head space and cap tightly. The beer is carbonated when the bottle has head space again and is stiff.
Pulled it out of the primary FV when it appeared that fermentation was done. ( broke my hydrometer flask so did not use hydrometer, have another ordered) It was in carboy in sec. fermentation for 2 weeks.. Pretty much the same as I have always done. No cold crash. That is a great idea with the water bottles! Gonn ajust give it a bit more time. There is enough carbonation in it that I got a good burp or two after driniking 1/2 of a 22oz. bottle............LOL Just not enough for a head on my beer.

It is sitting in the bathtub in a seldom used bathroom which is cooler than the rest of our house.
(yet another option) - If you have a beverage cooler, put the bottles in the cooler (and the cooler in the bathtub). Add 65* water to the cooler. Check the water temperature twice a day, adjust as necessary. In this situation, sample the next bottle in about a week (if the beer was freshly bottled, I would wait two weeks).

Back