Bass Ale bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
areams said:
Anyone has problems capping Bass Ale Bottles
FWIW: I have a dozen 20-oz. Bass bottles, and they've worked fine for several batches... no issues capping or holding carbonation. Don't know about the 12-oz ones.

Yeah, with the Emily Capper it is definately hit or miss. Half the time it feels like the cap didn't go on solidly even if it did.

My favorite bottles to use are Sam Adams and Long Trail.

if your using the capper that i am, and i'm guessing you are, it's all a function of the first lip on the neck of the bottle. just so we're clear, the second lip as i'm referring to it is at the top of the bottle and is the lip to which the cap goes to. the style of capper i and again, probably you, are using uses this first lip to pull against as it applys the pressure to the cap and seals it. on a sam adams bottle there is a noticable distance between the two lips, on a bass bottle, there is significantly less distance. as a result the capper is essentially at the end of its travel when you reach the first lip on the bass bottle and hence the difficulty in getting a good seal. sam adams' bottles are no problem because the capper engages much more early in it's travel and hence you are able to get a proper seal with no added effort.

you can definitely seal on a bass bottle with the "crappy capper" but it may take a few tries. one important thing to remember is that even if you get the cap to form, check to see if it can twist, if it can you still don't have a good seal. once it is essentially locked in place and cannot be twisted then your seal is good, but don't crank on it to hard otherwise you may break what is actually a good seal.

final note, save your pennies like i am to buy a better capper so that this isn't an issue, like it was said above, many other bottles share this issue.

I've notice with Bass bottles it seems like they're not on straight, but 99% of the time they've held pressure for me. Sammy Adams bottles still work the best though...

Latest posts

Back