Basket size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nmnbrewer

Reaction score
I am moving up to an all grain single vessel electric brew in a basket setup in the spring after two years of extract brewing. The question that I have for you all is in regards to the sizing of the brew basket itself. I am ordering a 20 gallon kettle from spike with the temp probe, element, and bottom ports all 1.5 inches from the bottom as to maximize the diameter and depth of the basket. I am planning on recirculating but without a port on the kettle again to maximize the size of the basket. I'll just be placing the recirculating tube over the rim and clamping as necessary. Also the basket that I'm planning on having made will have tabs over the rim as opposed to feet. Now my question specifically is does anybody have any advice one way or another as far as how large a diameter the basket should be? My assumption is that I'd just make it one inch smaller than the inside kettle diameter leaving 1/2 inch around. Thoughts? With regards to the depth of the basket, my thoughts were to make it approximately 3 inches from the bottom. This would give ample clearance for the element and temp probe. Thoughts?

My thoughts. Skip the temp probe. Save some money and use a bag and false bottom from Brewhardware.com.

Personally, I've heard of too many recirculation issues when using a basket. While it's not exactly the same, I had issues when using a steamer basket (holes enlarged) and a bag. I could hear the wort falling like a water fall between the steamer basket and the kettle. With a mesh basket if you don't have good flow through the grain bed it will simply spill out the top and go down the annular space between basket and kettle, and you'll never know you've got poor circulation.

Just my thoughts. Others really enjoy using baskets.

Edit: also, there's no need for an expensive kettle, especially if you're gonna be all electric and don't need a nice tri clad bottom. I'd save some more coin and buy a simple pot, a cheap step bit, and build it from scratch with bulkhead fittings. I've drilled holes and put bulkheads in several pots now. It was easy peasy, even for someone who isn't especially mechanically inclined.

I agree. Save yourself some coin to outfit it with sight glass. SS element, pulley, QDs, etc. I use this kettle

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FTEQBK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I recirc through the basket (many of the holes i enlarged). You do have to be careful but it you use rice hulls and throttle back the pump you are good to go. I have filled this thing to the brim with grain and had no problem recirculating. :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Go as wide as possible. My basket has about 0.25" clearance on the sides. 3" on the bottom but that'll depend on how high up your element is mounted.

I wish I made my basket about 2-3" taller than my kettle in order to build the recirculation fitting into the top of the basket with a bulkhead fitting.

Just ordered my basket.
Diameter is as close to kettle diameter as possible. I think mine was 14.5", so basket is 14".
for the depth, I used 3". Will fit heating element and everything i need.

I wish I made my basket about 2-3" taller than my kettle in order to build the recirculation fitting into the top of the basket with a bulkhead fitting.

Wouldn't this prohibit installing the kettle lid?

I assume keeping the lid on helps to keep the heat steady?

Go as wide as possible. My basket has about 0.25" clearance on the sides. 3" on the bottom but that'll depend on how high up your element is mounted.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Do you have a temp probe in the 3" dead space as well?

Now that's an idea! Thinking out of the basket I'd say.

Concord 20 gallon SS pot
Drill hole for temp probe..Very easy
Drill hole for element...very easy
Mount element and probe..super easy
Awesome cheap pot
I used a steamer basket and wilser bag when I started. I tried recirculating with a small pump and it overflowed.
I bailed on the recirculating and basket. Now I just use a wilser bag with a stir here or there for good measure. Works perfect and super easy

With a basket 3" off the bottom of a Spike 20 gallon kettle, that's 3 gallons of dead space. It would be best to recirc for that reason.

I have minimized my dead space with a custom made screen, so recirc is not needed if I don't want that.

Back