Basic Stuff...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moneycoach

Reaction score
After finishing my first APA this past weekend, I noticed activity in the primary this morning (Monday)!!! Whew!
Questions:
How long typically is the fermentation process?

After bottling, how long do you typically leave the beers in the bottle before testing one or three?

Thanks so much...

3 weeks for fermentation, 2 weeks in the bottle.

6 weeks in the bottle before its REALLY great.

When in doubt, be patient. Better 3 weeks in the bottle than 2, better 6 weeks in primary than 1.

Fermentation can last anywhere from 3-10 days (usually). Some strains of yeast work fast and fall quickly, while other can linger around for a while (like 3787). I would say dont do anything for at leats a week, and then you can check gravities. 2 separate days, if no change, then its done.

Bottles: I am inpatient, so I always crack one open after 7 days. I put 2 bottles on top of my fridge (warmest part of the house) and do one at 7 and 14 days to see how things are progressing.

After bottling, how long do you typically leave the beers in the bottle before testing one or three?

I usually taste one after 3 days for low gravity beers... they are usually undercarbed but very drinkable. Last time, I had 2 on the 3rd day instead of 1. :drunk:

The priming sugar should be dissolved in a couple cups of boiling water and then added to the bottling bucket. Rack the beer into the bucket with the sugar and let it swirl to mix the sugar solution in, keeping the end of the tube submerged as much as possible to avoid adding air to your beer. I sometimes take a sanitized spoon and gently swirl the beer once it is in the bottling bucket to make sure I have the sugar mixed in well.

The priming sugar should be dissolved in a couple cups of boiling water and then added to the bottling bucket. Rack the beer into the bucket with the sugar and let it swirl to mix the sugar solution in, keeping the end of the tube submerged as much as possible to avoid adding air to your beer. I sometimes take a sanitized spoon and gently swirl the beer once it is in the bottling bucket to make sure I have the sugar mixed in well.

Some people put a teaspoon of corn sugar directly into each bottle.

I've done it both ways and I am not sold on either method yet.

I usually taste one after 3 days for low gravity beers... they are usually undercarbed but very drinkable. Last time, I had 2 on the 3rd day instead of 1. :drunk:

2814-img-7858.jpg

This beer was brewed 13 days ago. The yeast was pitched 12 days ago. I bottled it on Friday!

It turned out great!!! And it was surprisingly well-carbed... one of the better carbed 3-day beers I've had. It will be even better in a few more days, but it is still very drinkable!

Back