Basic starter question for lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex4mula

Reaction score
I want to make my fist starter to use in a Lager (Pilsner) with WLP830. I will cool the wort to about 48°F for pitching which I can easily and quickly do these days with my plate chiller here in Michigan. My doubt is about the temperature of the starter itself when pitching. If I do the starter and it is at around 66°-68°F when ready, can I pitch it in at that temperature to the wort that will be at 48°F? Or do I need to cool the starter first? Tks

I believe you can do either . If pitching at 66-68 you start lowering the temp once fermentation starts . But thats also if the wort is that temp as well .

I normally lower the starter temp as I'm brewing that day . Then when the wort is at my pitching temp I pitch it . It may take a little longer for a lager pitch to start this way , but I've never had any issues .

Then when its about 75% fermented I start raising the temp 3 degrees a day until its high 60's for rest . Let it rest for 3 days then slowly drop the temp until it hits high 30's . Then keg it up .

I always remember reading that if there is a temperature difference, yeast should be pitched to slightly warmer wort and not the other way around. I suppose this is to avoid shocking the yeast with coolor wort. I have no idea how important this is or how this applies to lagers but I would try to gradually cool the starter to 48 degrees before pitching.

Ok. Thanks all. So seems I hear I should not pitch a warmer starter to cold wort. I can cool it down. I guess that won't kill the new cells we tried to create by the starter itself.

If you allow the starter to sit at room temp off of the stirplate for 6 or 8 hours they will build up reserves and naturally go dormant. Then when you put in the fridge the stragglers will drop too.

You can also add your room temp starter to wort at room temp then chill them both down to ferment temp. I have not done that but I have heard that other complain about getting esters doing it that way. I think if you chill relatively quickly before true active fermentation begins that should not be an issue. The main draw back to that approach is you need to have your starter ready at the time your wort is ready. Sometimes starters take longer or get ready faster, easier to plan on having your starter ready a day or so before you pitch.

If you allow the starter to sit at room temp off of the stirplate for 6 or 8 hours they will build up reserves and naturally go dormant. Then when you put in the fridge the stragglers will drop too.

You can also add your room temp starter to wort at room temp then chill them both down to ferment temp. I have not done that but I have heard that other complain about getting esters doing it that way. I think if you chill relatively quickly before true active fermentation begins that should not be an issue. The main draw back to that approach is you need to have your starter ready at the time your wort is ready. Sometimes starters take longer or get ready faster, easier to plan on having your starter ready a day or so before you pitch.

I plan to have the starter ready the day before. On brew day I chill wort from 212°F to lets say 48°F (yeast spec is 52°-55°) so it is ready to put in keezer. So I guess I will need to lower the starter temp maybe to 55°-58° before pitching?

If your starter finishes (24-36hr on stirplate) the day before your brew day I would move it to the fridge after a 6 to 8hr rest at room temp. I would then decant the beer off the top and pitch only the yeast directly into the precooled 48f beer.

If your starter finishes (24-36hr on stirplate) the day before your brew day I would move it to the fridge after a 6 to 8hr rest at room temp. I would then decant the beer off the top and pitch only the yeast directly into the precooled 48f beer.
Ok. That makes sense. Thanks!

depends on the time of year. anywhere from 64F to 74F i would say. i pitch at whatever temp i plan to start fermenting. so my last lager it was 49F.

depends on the time of year. anywhere from 64F to 74F i would say. i pitch at whatever temp i plan to start fermenting. so my last lager it was 49F.
So you pitch the 64F-74F starter directly into 49F wort? And all goes well?

Back