basic Mash Temperature Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrapinj

Reaction score
how does one determine what the actual mash temperature is?

I understand that the strike temperature is the temp when you add the grains to the H2O which then lowers to a target temperature

i see that a lot of people generally lose a few degrees during the 1 hour mash process

my question is at what point of the mash is the actual mash temperature determined?

is it the temp after the grains are first added? or does one figure out an average of the temps over the course of the 60min?

The temp the mash hits about 5 minutes after doughing in is what we are referring to. I lose about 3 degrees during the hour. I like to mash at 150ish so I shoot for a mash temp of 151. But the number mentioned refers to the initial mash temp.

I aim for 67 degrees C and spend the first 5 minutes getting the mash to that temperature with cold or boiling water as needed, I add a little hot water every 15 minutes to keep it spot on. My thermometer is calibrated against national standards. However, parts of the mash will no doubt vary in temperature a little, there may be coagulated gloops, aim for your temperature and maintain it. Every beer you ever brew will be a little bit different even if you use the same recipe, the same ingredients and the same equipment. That should invigorate this thread.....

thanks for the replys

does the same hold true for the sparge water as well?

you base it on the temp when you add the grains or after you had added the grains?

Back