Basic 10 gal IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chap

Reaction score
Could I get a sanity check on this recipe? Anything look out of whack? Maybe more hops or change the schedule a little? Not looking for a hop bomb, just a balanced IPA. Thanks.

Recipe: 10 gal IPA
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 9.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.064 SG
Estimated Color: 12.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 49.2 IBUs
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name %/IBU
22 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) 88.0 %
3 lbs Crystal Malt – 60L 12.0 %
2.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min 27.7 IBUs
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min 10.8 IBUs
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min 6.5 IBUs
1.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min 4.1 IBUs
1.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge

"balanced IPA"... I do not understand these words you are using :)

My only suggestion would be to drop your C60 no more than 5% of the grain bill. That's partly out of preference--don't like a lot of rich caramel flavor in meh IPAs. It's also, for my money, about your FG. I need my IPA to be fairly dry so I feel like having another, so whatever you drop from the C60 (I'd go down to 1#) I'd make up for with sugar.

Oh, and add a tsp of gypsum to let those hops shine!

My 2 cents...

Looking at it, I'm thinking it's more of a Pale Ale than IPA. Will drop the crystal and give it a go this weekend. Being in Okinawa I only have what's on hand (mail order everything) so the recipe has to stay simple.

Thanks again

bwomp313 said:
This is just my opinion, but an IPA is not an IPA if it is not dry hopped.

I don't think he cares, as he just indicated he thinks it's more of a pale ale.

I don't dryhop my IPAs though, and they've won awards. However, I use a hopback on them... I vastly prefer the aroma of hopback hops over dryhopping.

Chap said:
Looking at it, I'm thinking it's more of a Pale Ale than IPA. Will drop the crystal and give it a go this weekend. Being in Okinawa I only have what's on hand (mail order everything) so the recipe has to stay simple.

Thanks again

I would use a touch of crystal, just for a bit of character, if you have it on hand. A quarter to half a pound would definitely suit an (I)PA and really make it shine without making it too cloying and unbalanced. And I mean unbalanced from an (I)PA perspective... Beers hopped like these ones work best when they're dry and easy drinking. Truly "balancing" them, especially IPAs, makes them much less so. So the best "balanced" IPAs are actually VERY unbalanced from a more absolute perspective.

And actually, an amount of table sugar (or dextrose/glucose/corn sugar, if you prefer) equal in weight to the crystal 60 you use would be great. A half pound of each would make for a particularly exceptional (I)PA. Trust me on this one!

Thanks emjay, making the adjustments now in BeerSmith and will be firing up the brew pot Saturday or Sunday, depending on diving conditions :mug:

Latest posts

Back