basement temp is a consistent 66

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregg Meyer

Reaction score
Is this temp too high to brew a lager? I have read some other posts and are there better yeasts to use for this kind of environment temps. I live in eastern Nebraska and it does get cold here too. I could monitor my garage and see what I have for temps their also. I have an electric heater there and could stabilize the temps in there with that. The garage is insulated, all exteroir walls and the ceiling.

my basement is ambient about 55. on the floor its below 50. i am brewing about two beers a week. fermentations are slower, but very clean.

I think the only lager yeast suited for higher temps is White Labs WLP810 San Francisco Lager Yeast. Says it will ferment in temps up to 65 degrees. You may be okay at 66, but I wouldn't go higher than that. The garage might be a better place to do it and in case of any blow-offs, would be easier to clean (I'm guessing).

The fermentation temperature really depends on the type of yeast you plan to use. Most lager yeasts are developed to give "optimal" results when fermented between 50-55ºF (some even above 60ºF). That's not to say they won't work at elevated temperatures... they will actually work faster at elevated temperatures. At 66ºF the yeast may produce some undesirable flavors, but it may or may not be noticable (depending on your taste sensitivity, beer style, etc.). You certainly don't need to worry about 66ºF being "too hot" for yeast to survive, regardless of their optimal performance temperature range. Might as well give it a try and see what you think!

Too warm, stick with ales. You can make steam beer though. Not saying that it won't work but you will lose most of what makes a Lager special in the process.

That's high, although you might be ok with WLP810 or Wyeast 2112 California Lager.

Do you have any windows in the basement? If you do, check the temperature just below them. It will probably be a few degrees lower.

Realistically, the garage would be a better choice.

You may want to try some of the ale yeasts that ferment clean to make a psuedolager. Wyeast and WhiteLabs american ale yeast would be a good choice or Wyeast scottish ale yeast or kolsch.

Thank you to everyone who tried to answer a newbies question. I will take temp readings around the base ment and in the garage. i think a lager would be great to brew next. I am kind of slow and delibrate. I like to research the next steps in brewing pretty well before I make big mistakes. Do lager have a larger blow off than ales? Is there a real "danger" of a big mess with lagers?

I have a steam beer going in a closet which is against the outside wall of a spare bedroom. I keep the heater vent closed and the room stays right at 60. Fermentation has been going steady for 7 days now with WLP810. This will probably get racked in another 2 days, let it sit for about 3 more days to clear up a bit- and then into the bottle. It did however put out a big egg/sulphur smell on day 3, but then subsided. I will update when the liquid hits the cold mug.

Back