Basement Bar and Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I need to ask; why some many kegerators/fridges in each of your home breweries?

Fermentation, cold storage, supplies, serving - seems like a lot of brewing and drinking going on out there.

I thought, why so many? But...

1 4 tap keezer
1 4 tap/3 keg off the shelf kegerator (can use all 4 if using 2 stacked smaller torpedo kegs)
1 under-bar fridge for cans/bottles
1 chest freezer with an Inkbird for a yeast/can/bottle/full keg storage which is also used for main house fridge overflow at the holidays

Plus a chest freezer that's half+ hops/half food and the home fridge.

Plus a chiller.

Plus a mini-split for heating/cooling the basement brewery/bar/lounge in addition to the normal house HVAC system.

Last edited:
2 kegerators in the upstairs bar.
1 kegerator at the outdoor kitchen.
1 built in fridge in the outdoor kitchen.
1 built in fridge in the kitchen.
2 built in wine centers / beverage centers in the kitchen.
1 fridge in the pantry.
1 fridge in the brewery.
4 freezers in the brewery.

I think that's it.

1 fridge in the pantry.
1 fridge in the brewery.

I think that's it.
Wow, impressive! Your electrical bill must be impressive too. Thanks for the run down.

Wow, impressive! Your electrical bill must be impressive too. Thanks for the run down.

It is hard to tell on the electric bill, as we are also running two swimming pool pumps 8 hours each day. Even with 13 fridges / freezers, I do not think the compressors pull that much current. Nothing like our air conditioning units.

It is hard to tell on the electric bill, as we are also running two swimming pool pumps 8 hours each day. Even with 13 fridges / freezers, I do not think the compressors pull that much current. Nothing like our air conditioning units.
Still very impressive and I am jealous to be honest. I need more cold storage and a better serving system. I have one fridge now that serves both purposes, but I will be building a kegerator for serving only.

1 fridge in the pantry.
1 fridge in the brewery.

I think that's it.
At some point it seems like a walk in cooler would be more space and energy efficient. I thought 3 fridges and a chest freezer was overkill. Oh, wait, there is a wine fridge too. And a glycol chiller. Never mind.

At some point it seems like a walk in cooler would be more space and energy efficient. I thought 3 fridges and a chest freezer was overkill. Oh, wait, there is a wine fridge too. And a glycol chiller. Never mind.
A walk-in cooler would definitely be a great option if space permitted, even with a wine fridge and glycol system. I just brew beer and I try to keep that simple even though it has expanded the last few years. My brewery and serving bar are both in the basement. I've got room in the garage to expand to and that might happen so a walk-in cooler would be a better option there. So many ideas . . . .

Dang, and I thought I was going overboard with: 1 3-tap keezer, 1 mini-fridge fermentation chamber (3 kegs), and a DIY A/C Glycol Chiller (3 fermenters). Plus one regular fridge and a pantry fridge.

Finally some progress
004A7BFF-CD84-444F-8E46-74C4D6C3346E.jpeg
55685F31-4382-45E2-8BB5-87DCB9EDE2F6.jpeg

Electrician finished the wiring last week and I spent a very frustrating weekend completing the plumbing. 12 trips to Home Depot later and it’s now fully operational.

Attachments

• 53F4E8AA-9A47-4364-A871-DFFCB1C82936.jpeg
    53F4E8AA-9A47-4364-A871-DFFCB1C82936.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 64006291-6AE0-4B61-8E62-D1058BAA2653.jpeg
    64006291-6AE0-4B61-8E62-D1058BAA2653.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Back