American IPA Base Pale Ale Recipe for Single hop Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the EZ Water quick sheet.... I took a look at Brun water early in my brewing days and gave up, maybe need to have another look. I think they have an input value required that I have no estimate for, if I'm remembering right.

Also two other potential problems:

1) When I recheck the 7.01 calibration solution I get 6.97 (the 4.01 is basically bang on)
2) I've never actually done a water report from my tap, I've just used one I found online for the same area, and it is generally consistent with what pro brewers have told me.... but I'm guessing there is no substitute for a real report at your actual house.

Last edited:
Dgallo another one using your model IPA- an El Dorado and Denali hops (equal combination) using your recipe. I used wlp644 @72 to ferment...It's pretty good at 2 weeks in bottle! I cant wait to see how this will mature @ 3-4 weeks
Cheers,
IMG_4519.jpeg

Last edited:
I have 8oz of 2019 Strata in the freezer and since I have never brewed with Strata thought this might be a good way to give it a try before the new crop hits in a few months.

So I have 8oz of Waimea 2020 now and am considering trying this recipe again using this hop per the recipe. HIGH alpha acids for sure and decent total oil content (1.8-2.3) but of course because its new zealand hop, Im sure the total oil content doesn't tell the whole story. Anyone use this hop as a single hop beer? curious. The description of grapefruit/citrus/pine sounds like its well balanced which I dig.

No responses regarding waimea eh? lol its all good. Im going to give this a spin tomorrow anyways. my YVH shows its got 16% AA so made some adjustments to the hop schedule to keep my IBUs (calculated with beer smith) in the low 40s like my other pale ales Ive done with this recipe. So will be doing 60min and 5min boil additions (0.5oz each) and the FO addition saved for a lower temp whirlpool (155) with two WP additions at 45 and 30min. FO additions don't make much sense to me considering it takes me ~2-3minutes to get from boil to WP temps with my tricoil immersion chiller anyways. Trying to pull more of the citrus/fruit out with lower temps while keeping IBUs in check and hopefully better balance the citrus/pine this hop is thought to give. Will stick with 2oz in the single dry hop and use US05 for the yeast and use same grain bill exactly. We will see how it goes!

Dgallo round 3 using your model IPA- 100% Secret Vic hops using your recipe. US-05 @72 to ferment...It's pretty good at 2 weeks in bottle! I cant wait to see how this will mature @ 3-4 weeks so far its my favorite!
Cheers,
View attachment 697320
Looks good. Give us some details (Favor/aroma etc) on these you been doing other than taste good! Lol I’m interested in hearing about your warrior one too.

No responses regarding waimea eh? lol its all good. Im going to give this a spin tomorrow anyways. my YVH shows its got 16% AA so made some adjustments to the hop schedule to keep my IBUs (calculated with beer smith) in the low 40s like my other pale ales Ive done with this recipe. So will be doing 60min and 5min boil additions (0.5oz each) and the FO addition saved for a lower temp whirlpool (155) with two WP additions at 45 and 30min. FO additions don't make much sense to me considering it takes me ~2-3minutes to get from boil to WP temps with my tricoil immersion chiller anyways. Trying to pull more of the citrus/fruit out with lower temps while keeping IBUs in check and hopefully better balance the citrus/pine this hop is thought to give. Will stick with 2oz in the single dry hop and use US05 for the yeast and use same grain bill exactly. We will see how it goes!

This is a hop I have not used at all, so really curious to see what it brings to the party, and out of that recommended uses with other hops.

OK, so poor lighting as the sun was set, but I wanted to give my first impressions on the Waimea Pale Ale I brewed. Just kegged it yesterday. For the specs, I followed @Dgallo recipe for grain bill %s exact: 2-row, white wheat, biscuit, used US-05 as the yeast, but for hop schedule, I wanted to try to pull as much fruit as I could on this so I used 0.5oz (60min boil), 0.5oz (5min boil), 1oz WP @ 155 for 45 minutes, and 2oz WP @155 for 30 minutes, and 2oz dry hopped after fermentation complete, soft crashing to 150, then dry hopping at 60, started cold crashing 36hrs later and kegged exactly 3 days after DH addition.

Most descriptions Ive read on this hop are descriptors like: fresh citrus and resinous pine; tangerine, grapefruit, pomelo (I don't know what the hell a pomelo is lol), and tangelo (again, no clue what the hell a tangelo is lol).

To me, at 24hrs post kegging, this hop is great! I get sweet grapefruit type bitterness on the front end with some sweet resinous pine (the pine isn't overpowering at all, but its present), but is quickly followed up with strong mango about midway through the taste that lasts for the duration. I dare say, this hop is...wait for it!...juicy! lol. The flavor I don't think is as "in your face" and intense as other typical NZ or AU hops, but the flavor is still excellent. I am pumped that I tried this hop out with this single hop pale ale recipe.

What I was expecting but not apparent:
1) I was expecting more resin based on descriptions but this could also be due to my hop schedule and purposefully going lower on WP to get more fruitiness out of it. Beersmith calculated my IBUs at 42.5. It has solid bitterness, but again, the pine isn't as strong as expected based on third party descriptions.

2) based on my limited experience with AU and NZ hops, I was expecting this to me more intense right now (24hrs after kegging) but there was NOTHING harsh, green, or diesel like, even at kegging yesterday when I sampled a 2oz glass with it not carbonated. I don't think its as potent overall compared to the likes of Nelson. It is ready and crushable NOW for drinking, I like this hop a lot.

I will report back in about a week after the keg has had time to condition/carbonate for my final verdict/impression. Overall though, my wife and I are very happy to enjoy 5gallons of this 6% ABV goodness.

Cheers!

EDIT: just read this over and I soft crashed to 50 not 150 😂

Attachments

• IMG_7746.jpg
    IMG_7746.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
OK, reporting back as I kegged the Waimea pale ale a week ago. As a reminder, I ran the grain bill and yeast choice per @Dgallo recipe but the hop schedule was a tad different as I WP lower at 155 to pull more fruit out of it. This beer is fully carved now and think its great. It has high AA so many use it for bittering but I think it also has a very bright fruity flavor thats great. Mangoes mangoes mangoes! Its almost "candied" mangoes actually as its pretty sweet. A little lime as well but mangoes are dominant. Even though I used 1oz total in boil (.5oz at 60min and .5oz at 5min) the bitterness is there but not overpowering at all. I describe the bitterness as a mix between grapefruit and a little bit of pine, but not much pine. Overall the mango type fruit flavor is definitely dominant. This hop is very bright overall, but not as intense as the other NZ hops and I get nothing in regards to diesel or anything like that. Even at kegging, it never was really that "green"/harsh. Smooth as hell, bright and well polished from the beginning. This hop is well balanced (good for bittering and/or pulling some great fruit flavor) but not that complex - I imagine I would've gotten more pine if WP higher and used the 10min boil perhaps.

Had a friend over yesterday and she's not that huge of an IPA fan (mostly because of the bitterness) but likes pale ales a lot. She loved this as does my wife. It won't last long lol.

This is definitely a hop that could stand on its own in a single hop NEIPA or add a nice sweet fruit flavor to balance out more potent type of hops I think. I am thinking it could play well with a ton of other hops. Very pleased overall and ordered some more already - when I ordered some riwaka earlier this week! :)

Finally got around to brewing this with Strata today. First time using this hop and they smelled great.

On a side note had the biggest brewing mistake in a long, long time with this one. I was in a huge hurry to mash in as I had to run a quick errand and I forgot to mill about 40% of the grain. I BIAB and did not realize until I pulled the bag from the mash. It was way lighter than it should have been and I knew I did something wrong. Ran to the basement and found some of the grain still unmilled in the bucket that I weighed out the total grain bill in last night. So I quickly milled it, added to the already mashed grains, and mashed for 45 more minutes. So 60% of the grain mashed for an hour and 45 minutes, and 40% just 45 minutes. Haha. I somehow nailed my OG. Curious to see how the beer turns out with that major snafu.

I have had a pound of whole leaf cascade hops in my freezer for almost 8 years. They were cryovaced and still looked and smelled great so I gave them a try using this recipe. I kegged yesterday and had a terrible time with my autosiphon and it was sucking some air so I fear I'll have some oxygen issues. Anyhow, I set my co2 at 30 and pulled a sample this morning and although it isn't fully carbed yet I can already tell that this is going to be wonderful. With all the new fancy hops on the market today it was great reminder of how great cascade still is. The plan is to drink this as fast as possible before the oxidation might ruin it. I will be starting this afternoon. I also ordered a fermonster for my futures brews, its hard to deal with on with an autosiphon and a bucket.

I have had a pound of whole leaf cascade hops in my freezer for almost 8 years. They were cryovaced and still looked and smelled great so I gave them a try using this recipe. I kegged yesterday and had a terrible time with my autosiphon and it was sucking some air so I fear I'll have some oxygen issues. Anyhow, I set my co2 at 30 and pulled a sample this morning and although it isn't fully carbed yet I can already tell that this is going to be wonderful. With all the new fancy hops on the market today it was great reminder of how great cascade still is. The plan is to drink this as fast as possible before the oxidation might ruin it. I will be starting this afternoon. I also ordered a fermonster for my futures brews, its hard to deal with on with an autosiphon and a bucket.
I love cascade in general. I do a hoppy red that’s heavy on cascade and it’s beautiful.

if you do go the fermonster route, check out my thread in turning it into a closed transfer/ferm system
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/thread...lete-closed-transfer-system-for-cheap.680992/

I love cascade in general. I do a hoppy red that’s heavy on cascade and it’s beautiful.

if you do go the fermonster route, check out my thread in turning it into a closed transfer/ferm system
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/thread...lete-closed-transfer-system-for-cheap.680992/
I saw your setup and might do something similar. I just poured a full pint and the color looks great but I'm not getting much aroma and it doesn't seem as hoppy as it should be. I was concerned about the age of the hops and the dry hops were all just floating on top of the beer. I'll give it a few days but might just throw another dry hop in the keg. Overall I feel like this is an excellent recipe and I'll definitely be doing it again.

I just brewed a single hop beer inspired by this recipe for the second time using Strata (first one was Sabro which turned out great).

I modified the grain bill a bit based on what I had using 87% 2-row, 6.5% malted wheat and 6.5% flaked oats. Also fermenting in a fermonster with the closed transfer mod and first time using an iSpindel to monitor gravity/temp. Thanks @Dgallo for both the recipe and the fermonster hack!

I'm going through the Azacca now. It is good! I liked Galaxy better though.
Vic Secret is up next. My bag says 20.4% AA and with the normal hop load here I get 115 IBU calculated.
Should I reduce somewhere? Even removing the 60 minute addition entirely I still have 93 IBU calculated. The others have all been in the 50-70 range.

I'm going through the Azacca now. It is good! I liked Galaxy better though.
Vic Secret is up next. My bag says 20.4% AA and with the normal hop load here I get 115 IBU calculated.
Should I reduce somewhere? Even removing the 60 minute addition entirely I still have 93 IBU calculated. The others have all been in the 50-70 range.
That seems Extremely high, for 1.5 at 10 or less. I use cryo at 10 and fo with cryo at 28 aa and am still only at 60ish

I just brewed a single hop beer inspired by this recipe for the second time using Strata (first one was Sabro which turned out great).

I modified the grain bill a bit based on what I had using 87% 2-row, 6.5% malted wheat and 6.5% flaked oats. Also fermenting in a fermonster with the closed transfer mod and first time using an iSpindel to monitor gravity/temp. Thanks @Dgallo for both the recipe and the fermonster hack!

Since I am currently also fermenting a Strata version I would like to hear how you version comes out when it is ready.

The fermonster lid with ball lock is great when it works, but I have had a lot of issues with real small leaks here and there and also had one break even under low pressure (3 psi). Overall though -- it is a affordable setup that gets the job done for not a lot of investment.

Since I am currently also fermenting a Strata version I would like to hear how you version comes out when it is ready.

The fermonster lid with ball lock is great when it works, but I have had a lot of issues with real small leaks here and there and also had one break even under low pressure (3 psi). Overall though -- it is a affordable setup that gets the job done for not a lot of investment.

Cool. Did you use the exact recipe in this thread?

I just did a forced diacetyl test this morning (after 7 days in the fermenter and iSpindel showing stable gravity for 4 days) and it passed. Started crashing down to 60 and will probably dryhop tomorrow. I can already definitely see why the description for Strata mentioned cannabis 😂 it does have a pretty dank aroma and flavor. Interesting to see how it changes after dry hopping.

Anyone done this with Eureka or Ekuanot? I have a bunch of each and am a bit afraid after hearing some warnings about Green Pepper. I'm reluctant to brew 5 gallons if it's going to be awful.

Last edited:
Cool. Did you use the exact recipe in this thread?

I just did a forced diacetyl test this morning (after 7 days in the fermenter and iSpindel showing stable gravity for 4 days) and it passed. Started crashing down to 60 and will probably dryhop tomorrow. I can already definitely see why the description for Strata mentioned cannabis 😂 it does have a pretty dank aroma and flavor. Interesting to see how it changes after dry hopping.

Pretty much followed the recipe. I might up the dry hop a bit because I have 1.4 oz of strata left over and with my unintentionally extended mash my attenuation is looking to be pretty high with abv likely to hit 6.5% or a little higher. Trying to decide whether to just throw it the rest in or maybe throw that leftover 1.4 oz strata in the whirlpool of my next NEIPA.

I did the Virtual Hop harvest from yakima chief and they sent me 2oz each of these experimental hops. I'm planning on using this recipe to try them out, figure its an appropriate place to start.

I have HBC 472, HBC 692, HBC 522, HBC 630. My thought was to follow this recipe and use 522 in the boil, 692 (talus) in the WP and 630 in the dry hop. But open to any input.

Attachments

• IMG_8287.jpg
    IMG_8287.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Decided to brew this up with some Enigma hops I've been meaning to use. This beer is fantastic!!! Thanks for the recipe :)

hey @Dgallo & others who have brewed this recipe a few times. If you have adjusted mash ph with acid to ~5.45, what range of volumes have been required given your starting water & salt additions?

I have been comparing outputs from EZ water, Bru'n water, & MpH on the last few brews and I'm getting some disagreement on this recipe. Prior to adding lactic acid in the spreadsheets, EZ water is predicting ph=5.64 and MpH=5.47. Not drastic, but 0ml vs 2-3ml lactic acid to get in the desired range. I may be worrying about this too much, but would appreciate your input.

hey @Dgallo & others who have brewed this recipe a few times. If you have adjusted mash ph with acid to ~5.45, what range of volumes have been required given your starting water & salt additions?

I have been comparing outputs from EZ water, Bru'n water, & MpH on the last few brews and I'm getting some disagreement on this recipe. Prior to adding lactic acid in the spreadsheets, EZ water is predicting ph=5.64 and MpH=5.47. Not drastic, but 0ml vs 2-3ml lactic acid to get in the desired range. I may be worrying about this too much, but would appreciate your input.
I don’t think your worrying too much. Mash ph is certainly an important component. So It’s going to completely depend on what people are using for brewing water. I use my Dechlorinated tap water since my water is good. With said, I have 130 bicarbonate so I need a decent amount of acid to get my mash ph to 5.4, usual need about 5 ml or more for mash. Some people using RO water will be pretty close to target mash ph and only need very little acid.

have you ever used Bru’n water. One of our very own HBT members created it and it’s extremely accurate. Usually Within 0.02

I don’t think your worrying too much. Mash ph is certainly an important component. So It’s going to completely depend on what people are using for brewing water. I use my Dechlorinated tap water since my water is good. With said, I have 130 bicarbonate so I need a decent amount of acid to get my mash ph to 5.4, usual need about 5 ml or more for mash. Some people using RO water will be pretty close to target mash ph and only need very little acid.

have you ever used Bru’n water. One of our very own HBT members created it and it’s extremely accurate. Usually Within 0.02

Thanks for the reply. I've tinkered with Bru'n water, but not used it as my primary spreadsheet for ph adjustments. One reason I have been comparing various spreadsheet calculators is due to reading conflicting reports on the accuracy of each from folks on HBT and other sites. For some reason I'm getting circular reference errors in the free Bru'n water sheet today. So, thats not helpful right now.

I assume to 0.02 accuracy are your own brews? I just got my 1st ph meter, so it looks like I'll be putting the spreadsheets to the test tomorrow am.

OK, reporting back as I kegged the Waimea pale ale a week ago. As a reminder, I ran the grain bill and yeast choice per @Dgallo recipe but the hop schedule was a tad different as I WP lower at 155 to pull more fruit out of it. This beer is fully carved now and think its great. It has high AA so many use it for bittering but I think it also has a very bright fruity flavor thats great. Mangoes mangoes mangoes! Its almost "candied" mangoes actually as its pretty sweet. A little lime as well but mangoes are dominant. Even though I used 1oz total in boil (.5oz at 60min and .5oz at 5min) the bitterness is there but not overpowering at all. I describe the bitterness as a mix between grapefruit and a little bit of pine, but not much pine. Overall the mango type fruit flavor is definitely dominant. This hop is very bright overall, but not as intense as the other NZ hops and I get nothing in regards to diesel or anything like that. Even at kegging, it never was really that "green"/harsh. Smooth as hell, bright and well polished from the beginning. This hop is well balanced (good for bittering and/or pulling some great fruit flavor) but not that complex - I imagine I would've gotten more pine if WP higher and used the 10min boil perhaps.

Had a friend over yesterday and she's not that huge of an IPA fan (mostly because of the bitterness) but likes pale ales a lot. She loved this as does my wife. It won't last long lol.

This is definitely a hop that could stand on its own in a single hop NEIPA or add a nice sweet fruit flavor to balance out more potent type of hops I think. I am thinking it could play well with a ton of other hops. Very pleased overall and ordered some more already - when I ordered some riwaka earlier this week! :)

Sorry, 2 months late to the party. And now off-topic. :rolleyes: I've used Waimea alongside Citra in a blonde ale and then in a Motueka/Citra IPA. Really loving it so far as well. It's cheaper than most other "banger" hops, but it definitely fits into that category for me, especially with the high AA. I never got much pine out of it, but yes, lots and lots of mangos. 5/5!

Back