Base Malt Mixture

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justbrewit

Zythos Conisseur
Reaction score
i've been really thinking about what i'm going to use for my base malts once i start up doing AG and have descided that i kinda don't wanna just stick to 1 malt for the total bill. i was thinking instead that i would use 3 different malts to make up my base malts and heres what i've come up with.

briess 6-row pale malt

muntons pale malt

dingemans pale

has any one used all 3?? i know that each has its own unique properties and thier own tastes and thats what i want with my beer, somthing a little different and my own. these grains would not be alone in the mash, i'll be adding some speciality grains as well but i wanted to bring this up to the people i have grown to trust when it comes to brewing. what say you??

I'd say, "live up to your name".

I think you are doing thought exercises when you should be brewing beer. What is the point of restricting yourself to 3 malts? Will you get a bodacious discount? Will you buy hundreds of pounds of each? Or are you going to concentrate on these 3, for the sake of learning how variatious proportions effect on brew?

I'd think most cooks work back from an expected result, find an approppriate recipe, attain ingredients, cook it up. Unless you have to haul all the grains upriver from your annual trip to the rondezvous.....

But, if I was going to play frontiersman, I'd stock up on tons of generic plain malt, the cheap stuff, then roast it accordingly. I think that's what most breweries use for their 'base malt'. From all of the recipes I've looked at, most use 50% 'base meat and potatoes', and add the more expensive 'spice' of speciality malts.

But us homebrewers are individuals, play the game how ever you want.

You'd be very hard pressed to identify any differences from one malt to another when it comes to base malt.

Back