Barrel Leaking a month after putting in stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can send it to me and I'll babysit it;)
I would think it's normal, top it off and don't worry about it, new barrel?

Indeed a new barrel, but was tight / still wet when filled. The first barrel I had never leaked a drop, never even saw moisture on the outside... That did its duty for 2 stouts and now houses lambic. Just was a bit concerned, especially going into winter and knowing the humidity in my basement will take a significant dive.

Two things you can try.

1. Use a mortar and pestle to get a clove or 2 of garlic as mushy as you can get it. I'm talking goo. Then mix some chalk in with a spoon. The amount of chalk that you want has to do with the paste you are making. It will be like a sticky putty. Using a towel, blot the leaking area and hold the towel on the spot while you get the putty in your other hand. Quickly move the towel and smooshe that shtuff on the area. You really want it on there good. One trick that I use to smash it on there is to use the towel to push on it once it's in place well or else it will stick to your fingers a bunch and not the barrel. Finally, use a blow torch to try and cook the putty. You don't want to burn it, just kinda toast it.

This is kinda a pain in the a$$, but it works pretty well. And I'm not kidding. People have been doing it for hundreds of years. The garlic is also antimicrobial, so it helps ward bad stuff getting in.

2. Using a piece of metal like a pry bar or whatever you can get, put it up against the bands and hit it with a hammer. You are trying to tighten them up. They do sometimes get loose. This is all it needs sometimes. Try this first.

I've heard of people setting the barrel on its end and then flooding the top of the barrel with hot water. AS the water soaks in or evaporates, keep adding more in an effort to swell up the wood and make the end pieces tight. I've never tried this, so don't know if it works, but it sounds logical. When you get one end swelled up, turn the barrel so the down end is now up and repeat the process. Don't know if you are supposed to drain the barrel first, but that might be a good move in case any of the water leaks in.

Latest posts

Back