Barrel Aging - Imperial Stout and American Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm doing a barrel aging program with my son and two friends, using a 15 gallon barrel from Oppidan Spirits (a local distillery) They had used the barrel once to age a batch of bourbon and we are the first brewers to use it. Back in September, we filled the barrel with an imperial stout and last Sunday, we emptied it and refilled it with an American Barleywine.

17424686_10211823069469130_1368796434983720801_n.jpg

17554276_10211823067109071_8189290802628912760_n.jpg

17342475_10211823068909116_7415198925496434266_n.jpg

At our brewhouse, we have a barrel rack and ours is one the top, so we emptied it using a ladder to get to it, brought it down empty, refilled it, and hoisted it back up with brute strength :tank:

I'd been a part of barrel projects before, but with full-size, 53 gallon barrels and ten brewers, so this was different. We weren't sure how long to leave it in the barrel, because of the increased ratio of beer in contact with the wood, so decided somewhat randomly on six months.

It was remarkably smooth coming out of the barrel and while it had barrel character, it wasn't over-oaked, which is a relief. Nice plum notes, complex, etc. We're going to bottle this for longer-term storage and I'm anxious to see how it is carbed up. We'll add yeast (probably 1/2 packet of US-05) at bottling.

About a month ago, we all brewed an American Barleywine and agreed on a day when we could all be there to empty and refill the barrel at the same time - keep it wet and going. Our plan is to leave the barleywine in for six months, also, and continue to refill it when we empty it.

The recipe for the imperial stout is:

OG: 1.121
Bitterness: 54 IBU
Final Gravity: 1.024
ABV: 13%

Mashed at 156F for sixty minutes, single infusion and batch sparged.

Grain Bill:
Pale Malt 36%
Vienna Malt 12%
Munich Malt 7%
Roasted Barley 5%
Chocolate Malt 5%
Caramel 75L 3%
Black Prinz 3%

Light DME (added to boil) 28%

Hop Bill:
Challenger at sixty minutes - 28 IBU
Pacific Jade at sixty minutes - 12 IBU
East Kent Goldings at twenty minutes - 14 IBU

Pitched US-05
Fermented at 65F

Last edited:
We have a full-sized barrel for some club projects and I think 1 or 2 15 gallon barrels would be better! We only have about 12 people in our club right now, and it's hard to find enough peopel to brew enough beer to fill it. Inevitably someone is not going to want the style of beer that goes into it. And we have a member who is hoping hard that the barrel gets infected so he can do a sour in it!

Can I ask how much you spent to get that 15 gallon barrel? It's maybe a bit too small for the club, but maybe better than what we have now, and small enough for an individual to use too.

Oppidan sold me three barrels for a total of $200, I think. I'm running one of the barrels and invited two other club members to join me on that barrel, and recruited two other club members to run the other barrels, if that makes any sense

Last edited:
That sounds like a great deal! I think the 5 gallon barrels I've seen at the homebrew shop were over $100 each.

You can get yourself on a waiting list for Journeyman barrels in southwestern Michigan (via their website, I think), and I think they use both 15 and 30 gallon barrels. You could ask around at other local-to-you distilleries. I suspect the cost goes way down if there's no shipping involved.

You can get yourself on a waiting list for Journeyman barrels in southwestern Michigan (via their website, I think), and I think they use both 15 and 30 gallon barrels. You could ask around at other local-to-you distilleries. I suspect the cost goes way down if there's no shipping involved.

Thanks! I checked them out they say they have 5, 15, and soon 30 gallon barrels. I emailed to be put on a waiting list. Even if we don't decide to replace our club barrel, I may pick up a 5 or 15 gallon for myself.

And their tours look kind of fun too! :mug:

Back