barleywine with no starter??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustinHickey

Reaction score
Hey guys. Thinking about doing a barleywine this weekend but wont have the time to make a yeast starter. Was thinking about just pitching two vials of white labs. You guys think that would be cool or do i need 3 or 4??

Og will be somewhere around 1.150.

Anyone have experience doing this?

I don't have experience not using a starter, but I've made a few big beers. My most recent was a RIS that was 1.101 OG. I made a starter, but it still wasn't as much yeast as I would have wanted.

I'd definately go with 3 or 4 vials. A beer that big and beautiful...it's not worth the risk! :)

English or American?
I just brewed an American BW and used 3 packets of US-05.

Hey guys. Thinking about doing a barleywine this weekend but wont have the time to make a yeast starter. Was thinking about just pitching two vials of white labs. You guys think that would be cool or do i need 3 or 4??

Og will be somewhere around 1.150.

Anyone have experience doing this?

Brew a Bitter (if English) or a Pale Ale (if American) this weekend

In two weeks or so you can brew that Barleywine and have no concerns over whether or not you have the yeast for it.

Save yourself about $20 in yeast alone AND ensure a healthy fermentation (provided you aerate properly and pitch at the proper temp)

I know it's expensive on the yeast side. I'm just curios if I feel like spending the cash, how much to go for on the yeast. 2 3 or 4?

I know what you mean though. I just want to get it rolling so it's ready for winter.

I know it's expensive on the yeast side. I'm just curios if I feel like spending the cash, how much to go for on the yeast. 2 3 or 4?

I know what you mean though. I just want to get it rolling so it's ready for winter.

Wont be ready till next Winter
Take your time with this one.
1 month in primary
3-6 months in secondary

4 *fresh* vials/packs would be standard pitching rate. A lot of people like to increase the pitching rate for high-gravity beers, meaning 5-6 vials/packs. It all depends on what your strain and temps will be, and what you're going for in terms of flavor development.

If you're planning on using WLP001, just use two packets of US-05 instead. If it's an English BW, use two packets of Nottingham or S-04.

4 *fresh* vials/packs would be standard pitching rate. A lot of people like to increase the pitching rate for high-gravity beers, meaning 5-6 vials/packs. It all depends on what your strain and temps will be, and what you're going for in terms of flavor development.

If you're planning on using WLP001, just use two packets of US-05 instead. If it's an English BW, use two packets of Nottingham or S-04.

+1, 2 packets of either of those should have no problem with that brew.

Back