BarleyWine - Use Bottle Filler or Traditional Fill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yournotpeter

Reaction score
I've got a barley wine that's been sitting in secondary for 9 months and is ready to be bottled. I have a Blichmann beer gun that I use for bottling from my kegs. My question - is there any advantage/disadvantage for bottling the barley wine using the beer gun (rack to keg....force carb....then bottle) vs. traditional bottle filling (need to buy a neutral yeast strain and corn sugar for priming)?

If you are forcing carbing in the keg before bottling, that would be considered an advantage. Some times BWs can have a hard time priming, even with the addition of yeast.

If you are forcing carbing in the keg before bottling, that would be considered an advantage. Some times BWs can have a hard time priming, even with the addition of yeast.

That's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for...thanks.

My good deed for the day is done. Now I'm off to be an ******* for the remainder :)

Back