Barleywine decoction for too low mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmmmmmmm

Reaction score
Hi all. Brewed a barleywine today. Target mash temp was about 154F. Doughed in and it was about 150F. Decided to go with it, but when I checked the temp. after one hour, it was 146F. This seemed way too low, and with my system I usually only lose 1-2F after this time (but this was 3 gal, not 5 as usual).

I was afraid that it would could end up too dry, so I decided to decoct about .75-1gal (boiled only for a few minutes), and bring the temp. up a bit for another 20 minutes. The temp was only raised to about 151.

Was I crazy to do this? I've made a barleywine that turned out much too dry in the past and wanted to avoid this.

I've made a couple of BWs now, and I prefer to mash my ABW in at 150. It will really depend on your OG, yeast type and pitching rate; however, you should finish with a medium-medium full body in the 1.025-1.035 range. I find these to be start becoming drinkable at a year, and the body is just a bit on the medium-full and sweet side. The decoction will add some interesting characteristics to the mouthfeel of the beer if anything at all. You will be fine, so just follow through and have the patience you need for BWs

Thanks for the reply. I used 6% demerara sugar, and ended up with an OG of 1.116 (!). My main concern was the sugar drying it out too much, but I did add the sugar at the start of the 2 hour boil. Yeast was a lot of WY 1056.

What is your reason behind the sugar? If your FG is a concern, and are trying to add gravity would DME do the same for you?

Demerara sugar was added for both gravity and complexity, simply using extract wouldn't do the same thing. The unrefined sugars have a darker molasses flavor that is imparted to the beers (http://allaboutbeer.com/brewing-with-sugar/). I've used demerara in a barleywine several years ago that turned out quite nicely.

Back