barley wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avm221

Reaction score
ok so im thinking of making a barley wine for winter time, i would like to get up to 10-12%abv or higher but i dont want to burn your eyes when you are drinking it. i want it to be malty and smooth. my idea is start with 2 packs of US-05 and then im thinking i would have to pitch champaign yeast to dry it out.
so this is as far as i have gotten, any one have any recipes that their willing to shair?

primary it for 4-6 weeks, secondary it for 2 months, then bottle it and let it age as long as you can stand it. age 4 months, ok, 6 months, better, a year even better. i've had 17 year old barleywine. thick consistency, but DAYUMMMMMMM!!!!!

If you keep crystal malts out and mash low (148-150) you won't have a problem attenuating. Also add a little honey or corn sugar to help bring down the FG. I did a SMaSH barley wine with light Munich (6lovibond) and cascade last Halloween and it is nearly black. You need to do a 1.5 to 2 hour boil to get your OG up high enough and that will take the place of any crystal malts you would want to add. Mine is thick and syrupy due to kettle carmelization. Also don't forget to add yeast at bottling like I did. Even though its flat this beer is really good. You may not be able to drink until fall 14 true but it will be well worth it.

Back