Barley wine still good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jondavis08

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I just bought a bunch of extra stuff off of craigslist from a guy who quit brewing a year ago. This guy was a big brewer and was very passionate about it however he quit drinking... When I came to collect all the stuff he had a carboy that was sitting in the fridge with a Barley Wine he brewed a year ago. We took a little sample sip and it seemed to taste ok. We both agreed that it would be a crime to flush all that beer down the drain so I transported it back to my house.

Considering that it's been sitting in a fridge for a year do you think it'll be ok to drink? I'm thinking of kegging and carbing it up today.

If it tastes good and there's fluid in the airlock, it'll probably be great. Give it some some dry yeast for bottle conditioning and bottle as usual. It Might take a few months to carb up, but give 'er a try!

A year in a carboy is for sure going to make it bad. Tell you what. Since you live so close to me, I'll stop by your house this weekend when we go to the Bronco Football game and take it off your hands. I'll even bring my own keg and racking equipment. You won't even owe me anything for this favor. ;)

Latest posts

Back