Barley Crusher Roller Gap Consistency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbc5

Reaction score
I was hoping to get opinions from those of you with the Barley Crusher. I recently purchased the Cereal Killer mill from Adventures in Homebrewing, which I will be returning due to the rollers having alignment issues. Specifically, the gap changes as the rollers turn, such that the gap is extremely inconsistent. It can vary from .045 inches to .025 inches as the rollers revolve. For those of you with Barley Crushers, have you found similar inconsistency in your gap settings or do the rollers maintain gap integrity through revolutions? Any help that can be offered is greatly appreciated.

If I'm remembering correctly, the wobbling rollers was a problem with the Cereal Killers from the start, but I thought they had corrected that since. Apparently not, or you got old stock. Either way, I'd return it. Adventures In Home Brewing should be quite familiar with that problem.

Otoh, I don't recall reading of similar issues plaguing Barley Crushers, and it definitely isn't applicable to mine...

Cheers!

My barley crusher has a roller inconsistency of about .001 - .002

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

I had also read that the wobbling roller issue was a thing of the past with the Cereal Killer, but that unfortunately is not the case with the one I purchased. Interestingly, the roller that is not properly centered is the drive roller; the non-driven roller appears to be just fine. I'm wondering if this is simply an isolated issue with a bent shaft or some other defect. I similarly have not read about wobbling issues with the Barley Crusher, but thought I would explicitly ask about it and see if anyone had similar issues. Good to hear that your experience has been positive with the BC. I welcome any other experiences from BC owners.

I have a Barley Crusher. Seems to be about as consistent as could be. I've crushed at least 25 batches through mine in the year I've had it. Gap is still perfect at factory settings.

Based on the responses to this thread, I just exchanged the Cereal Killer for a Barley Crusher at Adventures in Homebrewing. Continue to love that store, as the exchange was very simple and straightforward. Thanks everyone.

I just found that I'm having the same problem with the cereal killer i got for christmas. I just finally got around to getting it set up to use and the drive roller wobbles quite badly. I haven't even had a chance to use it yet.

Contact the seller to negotiate an exchange or refund. If you got it from AIB, they're intimately familiar with that problem (and likely still smarting from it)...

Cheers!

Contact the seller to negotiate an exchange or refund. If you got it from AIB, they're intimately familiar with that problem (and likely still smarting from it)...

Cheers!

I called them today. The lady on the phone said they had never seen an issue like that before. I find that quite hard to believe. Someone is supposed to be calling me on monday about an exchange. I was surprised to see this problem after hearing so many times that it has been corrected.

You must have talked to a complete newbie, because the board was full of complaints about wobbling rollers when the Crusher was introduced, and AIB had to take a lot of units back - and still are taking units back (literally within the last week or so someone else on HBT reported running into exactly the same problem and AIB set up an exchange without debate).

I expect the next level of support will apologize and set things straight. And while you're on the phone with that person, kindly point out that the first person you spoke to was utterly clueless about AIB's history with the Crusher. You'll be doing the next victim a solid...

Cheers!

I have had a Barley Crusher for....... ???? 5-7 years? A long time, whatever it is. I have probably run 200 batches through it in the last 4 years alone - So it has probably seen 3000-4000lbs of grain total.

I have had a bit of trouble with it grabbing pilsner malt recently.... not sure if it is wearing down a bit or not, but if it is - it has earned its keep and then some.

I am suspicious that the Barley Crusher's gap widens to accommodate grain and then retracts to original settings once clear. I haven't taken it apart to confirm this, but it seems mine loses grip without grain wedged between the rollers. Though when there is grain wedged it will suck more grain all day long.

I am suspicious that the Barley Crusher's gap widens to accommodate grain and then retracts to original settings once clear. I haven't taken it apart to confirm this, but it seems mine loses grip without grain wedged between the rollers. Though when there is grain wedged it will suck more grain all day long.

So you're saying that the rollers themselves are bending when grain is between them? And then returning too their original shape afterwards? Doubtful, unless you're running rocks through it, but that would surely cause permanent damage.

I must have gotten a good one:). Mine's a recent vintage ball bearing model, runs just fine! Actually I kinda like mine over the other mill (shall remain nameless:eek:) I've used in the past.

So you're saying that the rollers themselves are bending when grain is between them? And then returning too their original shape afterwards? Doubtful, unless you're running rocks through it, but that would surely cause permanent damage.

Note quite, I was thinking there is some type of spring there, Or perhaps the bearings themselves have a slight spring-like effect.

My BC gap holds well and is consistent. Occasionally have a little trouble getting the non motored roller to grab.

Question: what is oil impregnated Bronze—the roller bushings

Note quite, I was thinking there is some type of spring there, Or perhaps the bearings themselves have a slight spring-like effect.

No, nothing like that.

It sounds like you've never taken it apart and cleaned it. This is probably the cause of the problem you're having.

Back