Barkshack sparkling gingermead w/o corn sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCone Mead

Reaction score
I am preparing to craft my first batch of mead and would like to try the Barkshack gingermead recipe made famous by Charlie Papazian, however I do not want to use any corn sugar either in the basic recipe or for priming. Does anyone have a good recipe for Barkshack sparkling gingermead sans corn sugar?

Is there a reason why you don't want to use CS?

I believe the CS is added for:

1: to mix in a second type of sugar so the yeast doesn't have to work so hard converting 1 type

2: to boost alcohol content

3: to ferment out drier. Of course, much of this has to do with the yeast used.

I've made 4 or 4 batches of this and have been very pleased with the results.

I've also changed it up by using only half the honey and it's still good.

I figured I could get 2 batches of lesser alcohol content versus one stronger batch. Half the honey is still good with this one. ;)

Either way, it'll be enjoyable if you like ginger.

I was hoping to avoid corn sugar mainly because most of the corn in the domestic food supply is now GMO (genectically modified organism) from what I read. I did find one supplier w organic corn sugar on the west coast, but was hoping maybe I could avoid corn all together?

I was hoping to avoid corn sugar mainly because most of the corn in the domestic food supply is now GMO (genectically modified organism) from what I read. I did find one supplier w organic corn sugar on the west coast, but was hoping maybe I could avoid corn all together?
There's probably a lot of GM food you're eating and don't know about...corn sugar is your least worry. ;)

My theory is the main reason many Americans are getting larger/overweight is because we are eating animals that were injected with growth hormones...(D--D-D!!)...and we're growing!!!:eek:

If you don't want to use corn sugar, you can substitute honey for the recipe and priming. You need to use about 10% more honey than sugar (by weight).

Back