Bare bones electric switch over

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jes2xu

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm looking for some help in trying to move to electric brewing. I'm hoping to do it very differently to most of you, we are in the process of buying our first home and getting ready for baby number 1. Let's just say funds are tight!

Right now I am doing BIAB on the kitchen stove, that ain't going to fly with SWMBO in the new house! So i either need to buy a full camp/turkey fryer type set up or go electric. The idea of plug and play to a wall socket is very tempting!

I dont need any bells, and definitely no whistles! All I want is a controllable boil. Literally all i want ( all the funds will let me contemplate). No thermometers, no pumps, no temp control etc. I mean I want to do this cheap, under $100. I already have a large pot and all the other gear for BIAB gass style.

My thoughts at the moment are to use multiple small elements and simply be able to turn them on and off independently. Ideally if all elements are on it would sustain a supper vigorous boil, turning one or two off would give a rolling boil etc.

Any thoughts if this can work? Or suggestions for how else to come at this problem? Im in New Zealand and on 240v if it makes any difference.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Here you go - http://www.stilldragon.com/diy-controller.html

A very simple controller which uses a potentiometer and a SSR which has enough internal circuitry to function straight from a potentiometer

See http://www.kyotto.com/PDF/PDF/KR2010AX.pdf

I use one on my 5500w element and I'm very happy with it. I start the boil at full on and then turn the potentiometer down to keep the level of boil which works well for me.

Ok so you may just be my hero! I discounted this type of solution due to perceived price. . . .that ain't half bad hahaha.

Will I need to do much for safety with this sorta build? Seems like that may be the bulk of cost for a lot!

No matter how you look at it, you'll need a way to install the elements safely and you'll want GFCI protection on any circuit you plug in to. With a baby on the way, a dead father is not the way to make the woman happy. If budget doesn't allow for that, put brewing off until it does.

If you're excited about the still dragon boil controller, take a look at the Mypin TD4 PID and appropriate SSR. It's really not all that much money and having a set temp control along with the manual boil controller is actually a very useful thing for a guy who's about to be distracted often. You're ready to get up to steeping temps and some domestic emergency calls for your attention. Instead of boiling off all your water and dry firing the elements, the controller safely stops at your set temp of 160F or whatever and just sits waiting for you to come back.

No matter how you look at it, you'll need a way to install the elements safely and you'll want GFCI protection on any circuit you plug in to. With a baby on the way, a dead father is not the way to make the woman happy. If budget doesn't allow for that, put brewing off until it does.

If you're excited about the still dragon boil controller, take a look at the Mypin TD4 PID and appropriate SSR. It's really not all that much money and having a set temp control along with the manual boil controller is actually a very useful thing for a guy who's about to be distracted often. You're ready to get up to steeping temps and some domestic emergency calls for your attention. Instead of boiling off all your water and dry firing the elements, the controller safely stops at your set temp of 160F or whatever and just sits waiting for you to come back.

Yeah i hear you! I'm not going to risk doing things un safely, it's more i just don't understand the parameters etc. ( stupid analogy but a jug dosnt have a GFCI right? So at what point do i?)

Il check that out thanks man!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087O6RO4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

So that is what I am looking for?

The i will need to get a element (5500 watt?), a alarm (assuming i will use it). And a sensor ?

Ten i will need to get the GFCI. Will the safety extension cord type do the trick?

Thanks a bunch for the help! Happy to do the research. . . . I'm just struggling with so much jargon i dont understand, need to find a solid point to start from haha!

Last edited by a moderator:
also remember with an SSR you will need a heatsink (dont forget the heatsink compound)

I strongly suggest that before you build you read and comprehend Kal's build at http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/. Even if you are building something much more modest, understanding the concepts there will raise you from "outa your depth." :)

I strongly suggest that before you build you read and comprehend Kal's build at http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/. Even if you are building something much more modest, understanding the concepts there will raise you from "outa your depth." :)

Cheers,

To be honest i stumbled on his build a while ago. And disregarded it as being way over budget. But I get your point! If I can understand the sweet build I WANT the simple build I can AFFORD will be easy.

You sir are a wise man! Haha

Thanks Jes2xu for posting this question. I'm thinking along the same lines to move from a stovetop setup that has served me well for many years. Never wanted to go to propane but wondering what it would take to move to an electric boil for batches in the 5 to 8 gal range.

I've looked at http://www.theelectricbrewery.com but it is so much more complicated than I am looking for. The kettle construction outlined there looks fabulous but on the electronics side it's hard to distill it down to what I need.

Are there other pages anyone is aware of (or threads at homebrewtalk) to just break it down in a simple way for an electric boil?

Thanks Jes2xu for posting this question. I'm thinking along the same lines to move from a stovetop setup that has served me well for many years. Never wanted to go to propane but wondering what it would take to move to an electric boil for batches in the 5 to 8 gal range.

I've looked at http://www.theelectricbrewery.com but it is so much more complicated than I am looking for. The kettle construction outlined there looks fabulous but on the electronics side it's hard to distill it down to what I need.

Are there other pages anyone is aware of (or threads at homebrewtalk) to just break it down in a simple way for an electric boil?

Yeah kinda my thinking as well. I'm still looking into it but lost a bit of free time for the next to weeks, will get into it again after that:)

Before you start choosing elements, what is the current rating on the socket you are planning to use? Standard sockets in Aus/NZ are 10A 240V, which limits you to 2400W (or actually a bit below).

Before you start choosing elements, what is the current rating on the socket you are planning to use? Standard sockets in Aus/NZ are 10A 240V, which limits you to 2400W (or actually a bit below).

Huh! Now I hadn't thought of that!!

I'm moving house verry soon, so honestly I cant answer that. Nor can i honestly say I know what I have here!. . . . Perhaps I will hang about untill after I move.

Back