Barb or no barb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lamarkid7

Reaction score
I'm going to be installing the valves on my kegs this weekend and when I was looking I noticed something. There are valves that have a barb and valves that have no barb. What is the difference and what style is better. Also what size is recomended?

Well you either have barbs or a quick disconnect. Most use barbs. If you're doing a RIMS or HERMS where you have lots of switching around hoses then go with quick disconnects on each valve and each end of your hoses. Otherwise just get a 1/2" MPT to 1/2" barb connector and some 1/2" ID tubing.

I don't think anyone goes without one of those two options. Otherwise they would have no way to connect tubing.

I'm going to be installing the valves on my kegs this weekend and when I was looking I noticed something. There are valves that have a barb and valves that have no barb. What is the difference and what style is better. Also what size is recomended?

Are you talking about the ball-pin lock hookups for gas/liquid where there are either barbs or the screw in type?

Are you talking about the ball-pin lock hookups for gas/liquid where there are either barbs or the screw in type?

+1 I think he's asking about corny keg hookups. If that actually is the question, my answer would be to use flare fittings on both. Not that the barb type won't work, but the flares are easier to deal with when dissembling for cleaning and such.

In that case I would suggest getting a plain 1/2" valve and add whatever fitting you need to attach the hose or whatever.

Latest posts

Back