Banjo burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petey401

Reaction score
Just received my burners..wow they're big! Never considered this ,but how much propane does a batch of beer use?
The burners came with an air vent orifice for the LP and a (spring)?? Don't know that's for
Panning my beer stand now:)

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I was lucky to get two 10 gallon batches out a 20 lb propane tank (that's using them for HLT and BK). The Banjo/Hurricane burners can freeze up a nearing empty tank pretty easily. Maybe I wasn't running it as efficiently as I could have, but they are hungry burners for sure. I always kept a spare tank on hand and, eventually, went NG.

Can they be used with natural gas? I'm sure the orifice is different size, bigger? I could drill..

BG-14s are actually pretty popular with the natural-gas set. Williams Brewing among others sells a combination needle valve/natural gas orifice for that burner...

Cheers!

BG-14s are actually pretty popular with the natural-gas set. Williams Brewing among others sells a combination needle valve/natural gas orifice for that burner...

Cheers!

This is what I used. Worked great with NG.

Sounds like a plan...but don't tell SWMBO why the gas bill is increasing :)

Just received my burners..wow they're big! Never considered this ,but how much propane does a batch of beer use?
The burners came with an air vent orifice for the LP and a (spring)?? Don't know that's for
Panning my beer stand now:)

The vent plate allows you to adjust the airflow into burner. The spring is to hold it in place. Did you get instruction with the set to show how to screw them on?

I can get 4 brew days out of my propane tank. I wrap my burner in aluminum foil as a wind screen.

brew+kettle-2328733809-O.jpg

It didn't...

Never-mind.

Where did you find that book?
From amazon books, my daughter got it for me. Great book!
Sorry for the crappy postings. Would like to say I am just learning, but I am a software PE. Very embarrassing!

No, msweb. No instructions, I just figured the brass orifice held the vent plate in place and you just tightened it when you found the sweet spot

Yes, a shroud works very well. Saves on propane and the time it takes to boil. Although there are a few issues with that particular design you have pictured.

Back