Bananas in my tripel!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger_M

Reaction score
Ok so i had a brewers best belgian tripel that was stuck at 1.030 and at the advice of the lhbs i raised temp to high 70s to try to get it to come down. Its been in secondary 2 weeks now and is nice and clear but the bananas are strong. i know this is from raising the temp. Will this mellow if i leave it. Should i bottle anyway? i pulled a sample tonight and forced carbed it with a carbonator cap on a pet bottle. If the bananas would mellow by half it would be good, am i being impatient or is there something i should do?

The bananas would not be the result of raising temp after fermentation is complete. It would have been there before you raisedt he temperature.

Is there any hope for it? will time help? will it matter if its in secondary or bottles now? id like to bottle it to free up the carboy but i dont want to be impatient either

A lot of Belgian yeasts are very estery which is another way of saying "fruity" or "banana-like." Regardless of what temperature you fermented at you would have likely still noticed bananas in the aroma of the beer.

My last belgian white was the best tasting beer I've brewed to date. Kinda spicy with a little bite at the end. Brewed another batch this past weekend. Looking forward to the tripel in about 3 more months.

Back