Banana ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satoshi

Bitcoin OG
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I started a banana ferment 11 days ago, there's no audible activity, even if I swirl the bucket to get physical movement, it doesn't provoke any fizz or bubbling. I don't even know if fizzing or bubbling should occur in any case 😆

I haven't got a hydrometer, the mix was kind of thrown together, as I simply wanted to experiment and see what would happen.

Any thoughts on whether I should strain and it or not?? Not sure if I will distill, maybe I will try to distill some of it, all of it if it doesn't taste good 😆

As for colour, it seems to have turned a nicer colour, as far as I can see through the plastic fermentation container, so that's hopefully a good sign.

Anyway, thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated 👍

I just made a batch of banana plum wine, and it fermented like crazy in the bucket, and now in secondary it's chugging away. Have you tasted it? Is it less sweet than when you started? How does it taste? Personally, if it doesn't taste bad or off, I'd strain off the banana stuff now and put it in bottles or a carboy with an airlock at this point. Otherwise, I'd probably chuck it and start over.

Thank you, this is insightful and very helpful.

I didn't have any water in the airlock at first, because I had read plenty of articles about just leaving the ferment with a loose lid. Once it appear to have become inactive, a day or so ago, I put some water in the airlock and continued with the regular swirls. But no movement in the airlock or audible activity has been occurring.

Having read about reactivating a ferment, I had wondered if I might be able to increase ABV by doing that.

So, I'm at a juncture, tasting seems like the first next step I guess. I simply didn't want to open it until I know concretely what I'm going to do or what the options are. I have another person telling me to wait another week, but I'm not sure. I'm new to this and it's only a gallon experiment anyway 🤷‍♂️ good fun and I'm really into this now though, I love it!

In my experience, banana is difficult to separate the solids from the liquid. Use some pectic enzyme before you pitch the yeast to help break it down. You'll lose a significant amount each time you rack.

I use cheap McCormick Vodka in my airlocks instead of water. It won't grow contaminants.

Back