Banana mead.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had a taste of "bananas Foster" rum at a local distillery, and liked it so much I'd like to try duplicating the flavor.

I'm thinking a banana brochet, with the same spices used in Bananas Foster: Allspice, nutmeg, and orange zest.

My question is about the mechanics: I've never brewed something with this much "solids" in it. (Quotes because over-ripe bananas aren't exactly solid.) Can I just use a bucket for the primary, and then rack direct to my 3 gallon glass carboy for bulk aging? Or does it need multiple rackings?

And how much did you lose on the first racking?

the first racking I would suggest doing through a filter. If it's anything like my banana wine you will lose some volume from the banana sediment dropping out. I made more than I wanted and racked the extra to a 3L bottle to add back after the next racking. Banana sucks in that as it clears it drops alot of crud.

Think cheesecloth over the end of the siphon would be enough for that?

I was figuring on making 4 gallons to start, and then racking into my 3 gallon glass carboy. But if I can't finish up there I'll have to get another carboy to rack it to, I haven't got anything else that will hold 3 gallons; Just a couple of 2.5 gallon conicals, and a bunch of 1 gallon glass cider jugs.

Not that I'm averse to that, I'm running low on fermeter space, what with aging in them, too.

Back