Baltic Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aboantopick

Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to this forum today my first post so I hope this is the place to ask.
I have brewed 4 beers this year and put together three more ingredient kits I plan to brew in the coming weeks. I had extra grains and after taking inventory I decided to brew a Porter with it. I usually follow recipes exactly but now I am trying to use up my extras and create or venture out a bit.
After reading some Baltic Porter recipes I used my inventory and all I needed to buy was- chocolate grains, hops and yeast.
Just because I have extra grains does not mean I have to use all of them I know. Some questions I am asking myself is; should I reduce the amount of base grains?
should I use only half a pound of chocolate malt?
I have some carpils, should I add a couple ounces for head?
Any comments on the recipe I put together would be appreciated. Thanks!

BALTIC PORTER ALL GRAIN
Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.50 lb Pilsen Malt 1.6-1.8° L. Malty character
5.00 lb Vienna Malt 2.3-4.2° L. Warm and slightly bready flavor
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt 330°L
0.50 lb English Black Malt 500-600°L unmalted barley. Sharp somewhat tart roasted flavor, bitter, tan to brown head
0.50 lb English Dark Crystal Malt 70-80°L dark red hue and a roasty edge on top of malty sweetness
4.25 oz Belgian Caravienne Malt21° L all-purpose caramel malt
3.00 oz Crystal 60 L Malt Deep golden to red color, sweet caramel flavor.
2.50 oz Munich Malt 4.0-7.0° Malty flavor and an orange-amber color
0.50 lb Molasses
1.00 oz Fuggles [2.60%] (60 min) Hops
0.50 oz Fuggles [2.60%] (15 min) Hops
0.50 oz Fuggles [2.60%] (5 min) Hops
1 Pkgs Danstar Windsor Ale Yeast Optimum temp: 64°–70° F.

Mash Profile
Name: Single Infusion, 152° F for 60 minutes
Sparge Temperature: 170.0 F 10 min.

Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Primary Fermentation (1 to 2 weeks)
Secondary fermentation (2 weeks)
Bottling 5 oz Priming Sugar (2 to 3 weeks)

A few things I see that might give you a not soo much of a baltic porter. Too many dark grains. I would reduce the chocolate to about 1/4 lbs, the english dark malt down a few ounces and use lager yeast. If you cant do a lager then go for it with the ale yeast might make for an interesting beer.

Thanks for the input eluterio. When I bought the chocolate I tried to buy half a pound and my LHBS, could only get a pound. So it doesn't mean I have to use it all does it. I will cut it down as well as the dark english malt. I will also cut down on the base malt by a pound, Mashed 12.5 pounds of grain a couple times with my 5 gl tun and seems 13 pounds is about the limit. I will brew this in a couple weeks with ale yeast. Not the weather here for lager. I will definitely post as to what i did and how it finished.

Latest posts

Back