Ballast Point Sculpin IPA News

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shepherd5

Reaction score
I was at their brewery last week and they told me they will soon be bottling up their Sculpin IPA in 12oz. bottles. I was happy hear about that!

nice, I wasn't sure if they were gonna make more soon since it was a limited release. I know people went crazy for it though. I was there when the last case of 24oz bottles went, and people were still asking for it. I'm trying to make a clone right now, Hopefully it comes out as good as Ballast Point's.

Their Sculpin in quickly gaining cult status. I'm finding it easier to locate these days. Major Market in Escondido seem to carry it regularly now (24oz bottles).

I have the recipe as well :rockin:

Their Sculpin in quickly gaining cult status. I'm finding it easier to locate these days. Major Market in Escondido seem to carry it regularly now (24oz bottles).

I have the recipe as well :rockin:

22 ounce bottles.

And the new labels that just got approved do not mention "limited release" so I'm thinking Sculpin will be in full time production. Of course, I can imagine a 6 pack is going to be 12-14 dollars.

Glad to hear this! I have been able to find bottles around, but it's been a bit hit-or-miss. Almost as bad as trying to find Pliny on shelves around here.

Thank-you Lord! I can't wait to buy a six-pack of 12 ouncers! I saw Albertson's is now carrying two of Ballast Point's brews, Yellow Tail Pale Ale and some other one I can't remember now, as well as Stone Ruination. I was happy to see this. Maybe they will end up offering Sculpin.

I've been watching for the six packs but so far no luck. Where did you find them???

I saw them at Homebrew Mart a month or so ago.

It's nice to see BP expand the lineup. The recipe for Sculpin, or North Star as the original Homebrew recipe was called, is available at Homebrew Mart. By the way, foe you non-San Diegan, Homebrew Mart is Ballast Point's excellent Homebrew store in San Diego.

You can also ask your local liqour store to get them. My guy in La Mesa has turned from being a place that has a few good beers to one that rivals BevMo in selection. Mainly because of me asking him to get Lost Abbey 2 years ago. But once he understood that im not alone and a market for beer nuts, even in this mainly older neighborhood, exists.

Your mileage may vary.

I saw them at Homebrew Mart a month or so ago.

It's nice to see BP expand the lineup. The recipe for Sculpin, or North Star as the original Homebrew recipe was called, is available at Homebrew Mart. By the way, foe you non-San Diegan, Homebrew Mart is Ballast Point's excellent Homebrew store in San Diego.

You can also ask your local liqour store to get them. My guy in La Mesa has turned from being a place that has a few good beers to one that rivals BevMo in selection. Mainly because of me asking him to get Lost Abbey 2 years ago. But once he understood that im not alone and a market for beer nuts, even in this mainly older neighborhood, exists.

Your mileage may vary.

Where is this store? Havent found many good beer stores in La Mesa that have a good selection of beer outside the major brands and a couple locals besides bevmo.

Where is this store?
Homebrew Mart/Ballast Point

Havent found many good beer stores in La Mesa that have a good selection of beer outside the major brands and a couple locals besides bevmo.
There are a few good places around, but for selection and price, I've been going to Palm Springs Market in La Mesa. Really good selection, even if they do store some of their corked bottles upside down. :mad:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/palm-springs-market-la-mesa

Also in Del Cerro there's KnB Cellars right next to Windmill farms, which incidentally also has a really good selection.

Homebrew Mart/Ballast Point

There are a few good places around, but for selection and price, I've been going to Palm Springs Market in La Mesa. Really good selection, even if they do store some of their corked bottles upside down. :mad:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/palm-springs-market-la-mesa

Also in Del Cerro there's KnB Cellars right next to Windmill farms, which incidentally also has a really good selection.

I have been to Homebrewmart many a time, but have been looking for a good beer store so ill have to try the palm springs market.

bevmo in encinitas has it, and yeah the sixers are 14.99, but thats cheaper than getting 3 bombers @ $8 each. can't wait to get back down to SD to grab some sculpin

If you go into Costco in Vista they have Ballast Point Variety pack.
You get 8 bombers
2 sculpin ipa
2 calico amber
2 big eye ipa
2 black marlin porter....for 29.99
Had to pick one up
Love the sculpin almost as much as the phathom ipl:mug:

At the brewery the 6 pack goes for 16 bucks...

I'm digging this thread up because I can't believe that Sculpin on Nitro was an concept that survived at least 6 months.

Sculpin on Nitro is just a bad idea.
Takes everything tropical and bright about the beer and makes it a muddied mess.

I'm curious, what's the deal with this stuff? I've been hesitant to spend 8 bucks on an IPA. How does it compare to Pliny?

olllllo said:
Scuplin has fruit flavors from the hops like no other.

Unless it's on nitro.

Sculpin is a world class ipa. Grab it from the shelf if you see it.

On point, nitro? Why? Where? Who?

Also, anyone have a clone recipe?

It's been on tap at a number of bars here in Phoenix that way after it's initial widespread release here. I see now that this occurred in other states too.

Why? Maybe to knock Left Hand Stout off nitro, I don't know. Just a horrible thing to do to an IPA.

Well I guess I'll have to break down and spend the extra money to see what you guys are talking about. However I am just baffled by the price.

Back