Ball/Pin Lock Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

optimatored

Reaction score
So I bought a second keg yesterday and it has ball lock connections... my first keg has pin lock connections.

Anyone see a adv/disadvantage to:

1,) buying new posts and going all pin or ball locks
or
2.) Just buy new disconnects and call it a day

My plan is to finish putting my keezer together in the summer so having the optimal system at the moment is not a necessity.

I have ball lock and am happy. I can't see why it would be a problem other than the tiniest inconvenience of having to make sure you switch things around to match disconnects to kegs (ie not a problem, in my opinion.)

B

Personally, I would sell the one that you don't currently have quick connects for. I wouldn't want to have to wait to put a keg somewhere because it was one type or another. Its easier to have all kegs the same so the next one up in the rotation can go anywhere in the keezer there is an open spot.

So I bought a second keg yesterday and it has ball lock connections... my first keg has pin lock connections.

Anyone see a adv/disadvantage to:

1,) buying new posts and going all pin or ball locks
or
2.) Just buy new disconnects and call it a day

My plan is to finish putting my keezer together in the summer so having the optimal system at the moment is not a necessity.

its all personal preference.
I have all pin locks - all of my disconnects are pin locks, so it is easy if i want to move things around or change in and out

obviously, if I had 1 ball lock, it would only work with the ball lock connections and i woundn't have that flexability.

so, again, its all about what you want to do

Get all of the same type. The quick-disconnects are just that - quick disconnects. You don't need to turn off the CO2 line or drain the beer line, you just twist, pop off and do the same to put it back on.

If you have two different types, you're going to end up always having them divided somehow and limit your flexibility (aka, tap 3 is always a pin lock and taps 1 and 2 are always ball lock, so if you have another beer in a ball lock you're going to have to transfer it to a pin lock, since that's probably faster than altering the quick disconnects).

Edit: I know some people use the odd-type out for their soda lines. That way they're never tempted to run their beer through lines that have been contaminated by root beer and other sodas. So, a friend uses ball locks for his beers and pin locks for his sodas. But that's aobut the only time I see that being worhtwhile.

Get all of the same type. The quick-disconnects are just that - quick disconnects. You don't need to turn off the CO2 line or drain the beer line, you just twist, pop off and do the same to put it back on.

If you have two different types, you're going to end up always having them divided somehow and limit your flexibility (aka, tap 3 is always a pin lock and taps 1 and 2 are always ball lock, so if you have another beer in a ball lock you're going to have to transfer it to a pin lock, since that's probably faster than altering the quick disconnects).

Edit: I know some people use the odd-type out for their soda lines. That way they're never tempted to run their beer through lines that have been contaminated by root beer and other sodas. So, a friend uses ball locks for his beers and pin locks for his sodas. But that's aobut the only time I see that being worhtwhile.

that is what i am thinking as well... better to go with one system so its interchangeable... thank you to all!!

I do the same as above. 2 ball locks for beer and one pin lock for soda. Kegerator only holds 3 kegs so it works out.

I've got a collection of both. My kegerator can hold only two ball-lock kegs, but I can jam two pin-lock (shorter)in the back and two ball-lock in the front.

Whatever works for you. I don't find having two sets of connections to be a hassle at all.

Back