Ball or Pin Lock? Can you mix?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportscrazed2

Reaction score
I have only done 3 batches so far and tend to procrastinate when it comes to bottling time. I want to get into kegging. Kegconnection has a 2 keg kit with everything you need to get started minus the fridge. The price difference is $20 cheaper in favor of the pin lock. Also could I add ball lock kegs to a pin lock setup in the future if i went with pin lock?

you can't use pin lock disconnects with ball-lock kegs if that's what you're asking

you can buy ball lock disconnects to use with your ball lock kegs, they aren't very expensive, but then you either need MFL swivel nuts on your lines (and have MFL disconnects) or put new lines on the ball lock disconnects.

i prefer ball lock.

All you need to do to add ball locks to a pin lock set up is get some ball lock disconnects and swap out your pin lock stuff when you need a ball lock on the lines. For most of us, it's far easier to stick with one or the other.

allright cool. i was just under the impression that ball locks where easier to find locally instead of online if you needed it.

I just purchased that kit from keg connection and mine came with MFL connections so you can easily switch out if you get ball lock kegs later on. All you would need to buy are the MFL ball lock connectors for about $12 then you can just switch them out by unscrewing the hose and screwing it on to the ball lock connectors.

allright cool. i was just under the impression that ball locks where easier to find locally instead of online if you needed it.

Ball locks are getting harder to find and prices are going up. I bought three last year for 30 bucks, now the cheapest I can find them locally is 40.

1 final question what is a good size for a chest freezer? want to fit 2 kegs initial with a potential of 3. last year i got one for storing food at the grocery store. they had a deal where if you bought the freezer then you got coupons for free food the equivalent of the price of the freezer. would want to take advantage of that again if i can. last year was around superbowl time so i need to look out for it. edit measured the inside. comes to 5.157 cubic feet internal is that good?

I've got a 7.0 cubic foot Holiday Chest Freezer from Lowe's. I have three kegs comfortably on the floor and could wedge a fourth in if I really wanted to. With a tall collar and some determination you could get 5 in that one. I'm gonna do three 5 gallon kegs on the floor and a 3 gallon on the compressor hump.

Latest posts

Back