ball lock vs pin lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChandlerBang

Reaction score
I am new to kegging and just got some kegging equip from a buddy that doesn't want it anymore.

What is the difference? Other than diminsions/ shape.
Do they take the same quick release hookup?
Can I mix and match or should I stick to one style?
Other advice?

originally Ball lock was made for Pepsi products and Pin lock was for Coca Cola.

I hear you can switch the post on each kegs and convert a Pin Lock to Ball Lock and vise versa.

Ball locks are more common and parts readily available.

its not wise to mix and match, better off to have all ball locks or pin locks.

-=Jason=-

Pin locks are a couple of inches shorter and an inch or so wider.

The posts have pins on them so quick disconnects are not interchangeable between pin and ball lock.

You can mix and match just fine but many people do prefer to stick with one style. All it requires is the different QD's. I'd get the MFL style instead of barbed if you go this route.

there's many threads on this topic....lots of info if you try searching...

as for the post about switching posts...only certain ones you can..the threads are different on some...So not all posts can be changed over.

edit...here's a link to the different threads on the different models..

http://dresselbrew.com/Keg_Info.htm

You can use any kegs you want, but they take different quick disconnects. If you do mix them up, buy disconnects with MFL fittings, not the ones with barbs on them so you can swap pin lock and ball lock as necessary. Hell, get MFL disconnects anyway, and use 3/16" beer line for your CO2 too! Then any hose can be used anywhere in your system. Trust me, you'll be moving things around as you get your rig dialed in.

Posts may or may not be swapable. If they are, the ball lock posts to convert your pin locks will very likely cost you more than a good used ball lock keg ($25-30). Keep them and use them. Or sell them and get ball locks.

Back