Baking Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i was going to say that, but figured it wouldn't kill him?
Probably... But why would anyone advise doing that on a site?? Unless it's an Onion type site where there's zero truth to what they post. Judging by what he put up in the post, I would tend to believe that.

The only time I've done any off-gassing (for fermentations, I offgas all the time ;)) was for meads. I don't recall any of those batches finishing fermenting in less than a few weeks. Maybe I'll make a batch of mead after my next move.

well he said, he didn't want to put any work into it. and he didn't want to buy anything? no offense @alirwez061 . you got some good ideas from people. i'm still looking forward to a report back!
Would be funny to watch him drink it (on youtuber)... Sort of like the videos of people snorting Carolina Reaper dust.

Would be funny to watch him drink it (on youtuber)... Sort of like the videos of people snorting Carolina Reaper dust.

i still don't think it'd be too bad with boiled white flour, or better whole wheat....lol

You two should get a room. :rolleyes: More
seriously: I'm curious how this works out.

i know i'm the only one on these forums that love the, "i'm in a pinch", or "i need something cheap!"... :D and actually try to help! :mug:

i still don't think it'd be too bad with boiled white flour, or better whole wheat....lol

i know i'm the only one on these forums that love the, "i'm in a pinch", or "i need something cheap!"... :D and actually try to help! :mug:
Remember...
Good, cheap or fast... Pick two.

So many flaws in that I won't get into them. Well, other than we don't "sterilize" but SANITIZE our post boil (for beer) items. We also do NOT use isopropyl alcohol on ANYTHING. Or at least I've never heard of anyone doing that.

As for what to do with the baking yeast you 'found'... I'd toss it in towards the end of the boil for a batch of beer. About all it's good for in regards to brewing.

BTW, in the US 'distilling' is still illegal according to the ATF. Unless you're licensed at least. Which really isn't viable for home/hobby levels.
so.. what? you think i should dump this recipe and find a new one?

so.. what? you think i should dump this recipe and find a new one?
I think you should stop looking to use BREAD YEAST for a beverage fermentation. That MIGHT have been "OK" 30-50 years ago, but doing so now is just insane. There's being cheap, then there's just being stupid. ;)

I also wouldn't post up any plans to distill alcohol online if you're in the US.

As I mentioned, about the ONLY value bread yeast has in a beverage is if you add it to the boil for the good yeast to eat once you pitch them in. Yes, yeast are cannibalistic. Don't judge them, they give you something good. At least when you use the correct strains and treat them right.

@alirwez061 If you’re hell bent to try your process give it a go, and learn/adapt in the future.

The way I see it, advice was asked for then given. I don’t think it’s my place to force sound judgment (what’s sound judgment anyway, and to whom?) on anyone. Once facts are presented, individuals are capable of allowing the facts to influence them as they see fit.

Guys, your killing me. either make something tasty or throw it at your neighbors

1) take a bottle/ jar and rinse it out with hot water
2) add 1/3 of honey and 2/3 boiled (and cooled to room temp) tap water until it is 3/4 full (NOT MORE, or you will be really sorry)
3) throw in 25 raisins
4) add the juice and zest and fruit of one orange (throw out the white part)
4.5) add half an inch of cinnamon stick or less
5) add about 1 teaspoon of yeast
6) cover the opening with a balloon (rinsed first and punctured with a pin) or tin foil (folded over to cover but not sealed tight, you need to be able to let the C02 gas out)
7) leave it in a room temperature area until it is clear (about 1 month)
8) pour the liquids (but not solids) into old cleaned flip top beer bottles and let age 3 months.

(feel free to taste earlier, but 3 month aging gives you very good mead, less time gives you paint stripper)

or get really spiffy and use a bubbler, and proper sanitizing solution and read the original recipe for JOAM( joes ancient orange mead)

I've only been using Baker's yeast since day one. Beginning of Covid!
I'm still new and using LME, but I've experimented.

Great attenuation, horrible flocculation.
Everything is FG 1.009-1.012.

Just finished a new, pitched a tablespoon of Fleischmann dry yeast.

I've only been using Baker's yeast since day one. Beginning of Covid!
I'm still new and using LME, but I've experimented.

Great attenuation, horrible flocculation.
Everything is FG 1.009-1.012.

Just finished a new, pitched a tablespoon of Fleischmann dry yeast.
Does it taste like ass?? Unless you were being sarcastic (I wasn't).

Seriously though, with how many GOOD yeast options there are out there, why would you even [seriously] consider using bread yeast?? It's not the 1950's you know. Even dry [brewing] yeast packs can be bought cheaply enough to satisfy even the tightest of tight wads. Or you can start brewing with good yeast, harvest post ferementation, wash/rinse, save, and use again. Eventually you'll develop your own "house strain" of yeast based on what you brew with it.

We also do NOT use isopropyl alcohol on ANYTHING. Or at least I've never heard of anyone doing that.

70% isopropyl is an excellent sanitizer. But applying it is not really practical for most brewery sanitation tasks. An exception is sanitizing bottle openings when harvesting yeast dregs. I've done this, and I think it's not an uncommon practice.

Does it taste like ass?? Unless you were being sarcastic (I wasn't).

Seriously though, with how many GOOD yeast options there are out there, why would you even [seriously] consider using bread yeast?? It's not the 1950's you know. Even dry [brewing] yeast packs can be bought cheaply enough to satisfy even the tightest of tight wads. Or you can start brewing with good yeast, harvest post ferementation, wash/rinse, save, and use again. Eventually you'll develop your own "house strain" of yeast based on what you brew with it.

It tastes like a belgian yeast. WLP-300 would be a good comparison, but obviously the superior version.

I use it because I am familiar with it now and over quarantine, I couldn't find yeast anywhere quickly. I had an old be kit, the beer was made but my yeast wasn't viable.
So I ran to the store and grabbed the last yeast I could find for months to come.
I brew occasionally, so it's not that big a deal to me.
I bought everything in bulk at the beginning of quarantine so I wouldn't have to worry, but didn't get brewer's yeast.
Next time I make an order, I'll get more malt, starsan and yeast.

I've actually harvested yeast a few times using Baker's yeast.
It really is a very reliable yeast.

OR....cookies.
hmm, cookies is a good idea...
Cookies don't use yeast, they use baking powder. :p

I suggest you go to your local Goodwill/Salvation Army and find a bread machine. When I've been at Goodwill there always seems to be three of them for like $5 or $10 each, though I suppose covid may have changed that. But if you find one, you can make bread and dough as easy as measuring out some water, flour, oil, salt, and yeast, and hit start. It mixes, rises, and bakes all by itself. Hardly any work. Our favorite thing to do with our bread machine is make pizza dough. Just throw in the ingredients, hit go, 55 minutes later dough is ready. Roll out, top with sauce and desired toppings, through on a preheated pizza stone in your oven at 500 °F for ten minutes and you've got yourself the best pizza you've ever had at home.

If you insist on making a beverage with it I'd suggest cider. Do you have an airlock and a standard stopper? Go buy a gallon jug of apple juice. Pour off two cups of juice. Recap and shake jug vigorously for 30 seconds. Open, throw in a teaspoon of yeast, then put the stopper and airlock on the bottle. Place in a basement or the most temp stable cool (~65-70 °F) place in your house. It should start foaming up in a day or two. Make sure it doesn't foam up through the airlock, then when the foam starts dying down forget about it for a month. After a month go pop the airlock off and enjoy your hard cider.

This is essentially exactly how I've made cider to date, except I sanitize the airlock and stopper with Star San (can also be boiled for a couple minutes in water) and I'm normally making 5.5 gallon batches in a carboy. I also take SG readings at the start and end to calculate ABV, and take notes to hopefully improve my process over time. And I use brewing yeast, I save my baking yeast for the aforementioned bread and pizza dough. The closest I got to my outlined proceedure was my yeast comparison, where I took 4 different yeasts and fermented directly in a half gallon jug of juice I poured a cup of juice out of.
IMG_20201030_173237247.jpg

Back