Baking with Spent grain - Banana Barley Nut Bread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burquebrewer

Reaction score
So Ive been brewing for about 8 years now, all-grain for about 6 years, and Ive recently decided to start making breads and pastries with the spent grain. I thought I would share some recipes, since I've had a lot of success with a few of them and thought others might like to give them a try.

Firstly, I do not dry the grain before storing them. I place them in large Tupperware and freeze them until ready for use. They seems to hold up for a few months this way.

BANANA BARLEY NUT BREAD

Ingredients
1 cup whole wheat, unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup unbleached whole wheat pastry flour
1.5 cups spent grain
1 tsp baking soda
a dash of salt
0.5 cups of unsalted butter
0.5 cups brown sugar (honey or agave syrup can be used instead)
0.25 cups of honey (Agave can be used instead)
3 over-ripe bananas
3 eggs
0.25 cups Pecans or Walnuts

Preheat oven to 350
Lightly grease a small cake pan ( I use the round cake pans)
In a large bowl, combine the flours, spent grain, pecans, baking soda, and salt.
In a separate bowl, cream together to butter, brown sugar, and honey. Once creamy, add the eggs and bananas and stir well.
Add the wet mixture into the dry mixture and fold in until moist. Do Not overmix! Fold in about 15 times or until the flour is no longer a dry powder then stop there.
Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake for about 60 min. A butter knife should come out clean when it is inserted into the middle.
Let stand in pan for 10 minutes.

Let me know what you think. This comes out so moist and fluffy, its gone in my house within two days. Its great toasted with butter!

How do you treat the spent grain? Do you do something to dry it or just take it from your mash tun/bag and save it as it is for baking? Really interested in trying to cut down the amount of spent grain I have to throw out!

[Edit] This is what I get for skimming the posts, just read the explanation on the top!

I bet it would be delicious. I was thinking about using the grain from a milk stout to bake this bread with. The milk stout is next on my "TO BREW LIST", so I'll let you know how it comes out...the beer and the bread.

Just baked this - yummmmmm.

I used the frozen grains from my ESB batch last week, had to use white sugar instead of brown but it was still excellent. SWMBO liked it too. The grains are subtle and add a nice texture to the bread without overpowering anything.

Soooooo, what other spent grain recipes do you have? This one is more of a cake than a bread, and while delicious in every way I'd love to try a nice grainy farmhouse loaf or German style wholemeal bread with it.

IMG_20160709_113307.jpg

Excellent! I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. Looks awesome! I do have an excellent whole grain bread recipe I will post tomorrow morning when I get back home from work. It is a great recipe that produces a nice farmhouse loaf as you described.

Thanks for the pic, Sadu! Ill get that other recipe and a few more up soon.

Thanks for the recipe. This turned out great! I will be making this often.

I was going to leave images, but for some reason I can never link images from my google account on homebrewtalk.

Last edited:
Back