bakers yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonos

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the homebrewing system and therefore I dont want to spend to much on supplies, that is why I will be using bakers yeast. My question is, if I use bakers yeast what abv will I likely receive?

Don't use bakers yeast. A packet of US05 is only a couple bucks and if you want you can wash and reuse it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Nah not too late, you can still pitch some dry brewers yeast.

It's a s.cerevisiae yeast, so it should be tolerant to 10%.

However, you will likely get crappy results. It might be fruity, solventy, estery. You won't know because they don't isolate specific strains for baking. And they probably don't focus too hard on avoiding wild bacteria and wild yeast because it isn't going to affect a baking product in the couple hours you wait for a yeast to rise.

You'll be better off spending a couple dollars and buying a packet of dry yeast.

Well you'll likely be drinking bread beer... which is fine if you are into that kind of thing. Bread yeast is not designed to give consistent specific flavor that beer wants. As for ABV yeast plays a roll in creating the alcohol but the only way to know how much is by knowing your full recipe and how much fermentable sugar the yeast had to work with.

Oh you're doing cider. I'd still use brewing yeast but the flavors you get from Bread yeast might get masked by the apple.

Hard to know what you'll get exactly with taking hydrometer reading before and after.

You still haven't told us what you put in the fermenter. Roughly? Just straight apple juice from a bottle less than 4%.

You seem much more concerned with creating ethanol than you are with creating something that tastes good. How long are you planning on fermenting? Aging? Do you have a hydrometer? That will be vital.

Bread yeast makes good bread. There is a popular and tasty mead recipe that uses bread yeast. Outside of that, using actual brewing strains will be your best bet to make a beverage you will enjoy drinking. Unless you are underage, that is... ;)

Back