Bakeing bread in a smoker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butcher

Reaction score
I read a post in praise of the big green egg as a cook anything anyway and it got me thinking that I should try to bake a loaf of bread over charcoal. I don't have a green egg, just a regular vertical smoker. My concern is that I couldn't avoid putting a smoked flavor in the bread though. I cold smoked some cheese in my gas grill once and the next time I grilled meat it had a smoked flavor to it due to the smoke residue left behind. Is there any way I could avoid this?

The BGE works well as an oven because of its ceramic construction. It's walls hold heat and bake from all sides. I think you'll have problems making bread in a regular grill or smoker. You could build a mini "brick oven" structure inside the grill with unglazed quarry tiles ( google for instruction). Also, kamado cookers like a BGE are very efficient and airtight, so once started and pre-heated very little smoke is generated with charcoal alone.

If you make the right kind of bread I think the smoke flavor would be amazing in it. I'm thinking something with cornbread, jalapeno, maybe a bit of mango for some sweetness. Add some smokiness and you've got so many flavors going on. That sounds awesome! Get on it and send me some samples!!!

For baking bread outdoors, Lodge dutch ovens can't be beat. I have the type that are meant for cooking over charcoal that have feet on the bottom. I bake artisan bread in mine pretty much every time I BBQ or grill. The dutch oven gives it a nice crunchy crust like it should have without having to mist it with water or add some sort of water tray. I use the recipe found all around the net for "5 minute artisan bread".

I'm thinking of firing up my smoker next time, just to make dog treats. My house oven is only so big, and I usually have a crap ton of spent grain. Might as well use it all up, and see if we can't make some money with it! I figure it would work out well, since you don't have to worry about food alergies.

My smoker is an insulated cabinet, so it only varies by 2 degrees from top to bottom. I think this would work well.

Latest posts

Back