Bag questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mozltovcoktail

Reaction score
I’m planning my first all grain 5 gallon BIAB batch and I want to make sure I get the right bag for the job. So, here are some questions:

What size bag do you recommend for a 5 gallon all grain batch?

The nylon bags have the option of either fine or coarse mesh. What’s the purpose of the fine vs coarse mesh?

Are the paint strainer bags you can get at the hardware store nylon? If so, are they coarse or fine? Will they leech any flavors into my beer?

I’ve heard that the muslin bags can fall apart, which I definitely want to avoid, so I’m leaning towards nylon. I think nylon are also reusable, while muslin aren’t. I can’t see an advantage to muslin except that maybe they’re cheaper, but it sounds like those ones at the hardware store are pretty darn cheap!

Thanks!

I use the 5 gallon paint strainer bags from HD. They are pretty big, hold up well and are inexpensive. I haven't had any flavors being leached from nylon. Just don't let it burn on the bottom of your pot. One other thing to keep in mind is that the seams can rip if you overstuff the bags, not that I know from experience.

The size of bag will depend a lot on the size of the pot. In my turkey fryer, a 5 gallon paint strainer bag from Home Depot fits perfect and the elastic top keeps it from falling in.

I think you will need a custom bag or make one yourself from voile curtain fabric. The 5 gallon paint strainers didn't come close to fitting my old 8 gallon kettle. You want the bag to completely fill the inside of your kettle so the grain doesn't get compacted in there. If you use a smaller bag, your grain will all stuffed in there and almost remain dry in the middle, you want as much water to grain contact as possible.

^ This

If you don't have the sewing skills (or know someone who does) wilserbrewer on here has a good reputation.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Home Brew mobile app

Ideally, your kettle should be able to fit inside the bag. If it can't then the grains will be constrained and you may have issues with efficiency. As others have suggested, go with a custom bag or go to Walmart or a fabric store and get a large piece of voile (fabric used to make sheer curtains). A 5g paint strainer is too small for your 10g kettle.

My larger kettle is 8G and I have a bag from More Beer that works great .. I do 4 to 5 G batches with it but generally do not go over 6G strike water or 10 pounds of grist. My smaller kettle is 5G and I use a paint strainer bag and brew batches from 2G to 3.5G with no prob. Fine mesh gives you less trub in the fermenter, but you will find yourself playing with a few ideas to get less trub and less cloudy beer. Either way, use Whirlfloc .. or drink cloudy beer - it never hurt anybody ;)

Ideally, your kettle should be able to fit inside the bag. If it can't then the grains will be constrained and you may have issues with efficiency. As others have suggested, go with a custom bag or go to Walmart or a fabric store and get a large piece of voile (fabric used to make sheer curtains). A 5g paint strainer is too small for your 10g kettle.

+1

Yes! The grains need to move freely in the bag. If the pot doesn't fit in the bag, it is probably too small. See the experts in BIAB at www.BIABrewer.info for more info.

Back