Baffled about a calculation issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

regulatedhobbyist

Reaction score
So, I made this strawberry mead a couple weeks ago. It had 4.5 lbs honey and one full gallon of water with 5lbs of strawberries. OG was 1.115 without the berries but when I removed the strawberries, the bags of mush removed left the volume at just a couple of cups shy of two gallons. According to the honey calculator in the FAQ sticky, the OG with the strawberries was 1.1264.

But now my volume has changed. With an FG of 1.002, how do I calculate the abv for the new volume? I calculated the abv at around 16% +/- , but that was the old volume. Does the change in volume impact this calculation? If so how much?

It's a percentage so it shouldn't change, while a shot glass technically has less alcohol by volume than a pint glass, the percentage of alcohol in both are the same, it's all relative, so whether a pint or a gallon, 16% of the fluid in it will be alcohol.

So, I made this strawberry mead a couple weeks ago. It had 4.5 lbs honey and one full gallon of water with 5lbs of strawberries. OG was 1.115 without the berries but when I removed the strawberries, the bags of mush removed left the volume at just a couple of cups shy of two gallons. According to the honey calculator in the FAQ sticky, the OG with the strawberries was 1.1264.

But now my volume has changed. With an FG of 1.002, how do I calculate the abv for the new volume? I calculated the abv at around 16% +/- , but that was the old volume. Does the change in volume impact this calculation? If so how much?
Using your numbers, if the batch with the fruit was 1.126 and it's finished at 1.002, then that 124 point drop represents about 16.8% ABV.

It doesn't matter so much about the X amount of honey, Y amount of water and Z amount of fruit. The sugar content of the honey and fruit will vary some, which is why it's more accurate to take gravity readings for start and finish and then convert the drop in points using one of the charts out there. If the fruit isn't of a type where you can pulp it and then take a reading, the numbers for it will only ever be a guesstimate anyway.....

Latest posts

Back