Bad Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigrand

Reaction score
I bought the 3 kit sale from NB about 2-3 weeks ago and it seems the dry yeast has not worked well. I did a Hefe that went fine but the West coast Radical red (Safale US-05) and now the Caribou slobber (Danstar Windsor Ale) are not acting right.I did not rehydrate any of them just pitched dry into ferminter. The US-05 seemed to be working some but no action in air lock butit was a Big mouth bubbler and some times they don't seal so well but the Danstar is doing nothing.Should i just repitch them both after rehydrating this time? And does dry yeast need to be refridirated if you will be using in 2-3 weeks.

Dry yeast will keep fine at room temp, but will do better in the fridge. At room temps, it will probably lose about 50% viability after 2 years. In the fridge, it will take closer to 15 years.

Check gravity before doing anything to the beer. I've had a beer ferment out before without realizing it.

Back