Bad Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sublime8365

Reaction score
So I brewed my first batch (American style wheat) a little over a month ago, fermented for 10 days, and has been bottled for 4 weeks now. It tasted funny at first but I thought to give it time because everything I read said to do so. Even at three weeks I thought maybe just give it more time because maybe I took it out of the fermenter too soon and it just needed a little more conditioning. I've since read that wheat beers generaly mature the fastest so i doubt time is the issue here. It's been 4 weeks since bottling and my beer still has a very funky taste that I think tastes very yeasty. Now, I bought the kit a few months before I actually brewed it and the ingredients were not in the fridge. The yeast was dry yeast but could that have affected how it performed? Is there anything I can try to change the taste of the beer at this point? The bottle I had tonight had been in the fridge for an entire week (since it hit the 3 weeks at 70 degree mark) so I figure most of the yeast should have fallen out of suspension.

Now my gf (not a beer drinker) thinks it kind of tastes like cleaning solution. Even though I disagree, I'll explore the possibility. To wash out the bottles, I did soak them in dishwasher soap for a few hours (dumb, I know), but I rinsed them very thoroughly weeks before bottling and then right before bottling submerged them in the non rinse easy clean that the kit came with. Is it possible that the dishwasher soap or too much easy clean would have affected this batch? I feel like since the taste is the same for each bottle that it's more likely the yeast but you never know.

Homebrewtastic said:
What's the "funky" taste you're tasting? Describe it a bit better. Is it overly fruity? Is it spicy? What?

Definitely not fruity or spicy. Like I said it tastes almost yeasty to me but my pallet isn't super refined yet. I want to say it's almost sour, maybe a slight stale taste. To tell you the truth I'm not quite sure how to accurately describe the flavor. Ill ask some friends and family to try it to see if they can put a finger on the taste.

If it's sour then you may have an infection. If it's stale then that's oxidation.

"Yeasty" isn't much to go on as there are tons of flavors that yeast can produce. What yeast did you use?

I made a wheat also.The tartness is a characteristic of at least white wheat malt the other wheat im not so shure-have yet to try the others. How much yeast did you use and what size batch?what kind of yeast?
Sounds like yeast-bite. somewhat sour apple like? it could be still green. i bottled too early my wheat and had to wait 6 weeks for them to taste like they should.
Try rinsing with sterile water also,if you overconcentrated your sanitizer it could be possible. I started rinsing my no-rinse and along with other things ive learned and its working better for me. Ive noticed a bit of haze from my norinse in my fermenter before and decided i would shake and rinse it,along with my norinsed beer bottles before botteling.

Back