Bad tasting Patersbier, need some help detecting my error.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flask

Reaction score
I have a Patersbier that has been kegged and on gas since Sept 10. It didn't taste good after being carbed a week but I wrote it off to being green.
Now, however, it is a unlike anything I have tasted. The initial taste is "beer like"(think hot Coors) but after that it doesn't taste like beer at all. The aftertaste is horrendous and sticks to your tongue making me go brush my teeth and scrub my tongue. If I had left a quart of oxyclean in the keg and dumped onto it, would be closest to describing it. I can say its not alcoholic, fruity, DMS, sour, or Diacetyl.

On to the brew/ferm particulars:
NB Patersbier Extract kit. This was the beer I brewed after a several year hiatus. I got this as a pipeline starter. I have made this kit before with excellent results.
Used grocery store Glacier RO water, no salt additions.
Uneventful boil and chill to 65F. (Cleaned IC with hot vinegar water prior in BK then rinsed BK and IC)
Oxygenated for one minute.
Pitched WY3787 2 months old, no starter and set in bathroom that is constantly 68 with a wet towel around it for two weeks.
Went to keg and carbed to 2.8 vols.
I have done 5 AG batches after this with no problems like this.

I am leaning toward underpitching yeast but I can't find tasting examples except fruity and estery. This would be an extreme case of esters.

All comments and suggestions welcome.
Thanks,
Flask

Back