Bad tap water needs cleaning for brewing and everything else...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xico

Reaction score
Hey all, my fiance and I are moving to a location with pretty scary water reports. There are consistent measurable levels of hexavalent chromium, lead, and a host of petrochemicals that I am none too pleased to have access to. Aside from my brewing consistency concerns, obviously these materials pose significant health risks for us and we are considering investing in a household reverse osmosis system.

Is there anyone in the community that can comment on recommended systems they use? We are renting and only intend to be in the house for a year, so we are seeking a system that we can pay a professional to install and remove when we leave. But we don't want to over or under purchase for our needs. Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks!

Would it be cheaper to just use RO or distilled water and build up your water chemistry to match the beer you are brewing. Walmart usually has distilled for 88 cents a gallon.

I would suggest looking up 'water treatment' in the local business directory. If the water is as bad as you suggest then there should be professionals in the area who can help you to remediate.

As for Cr(VI) it can be very good for you if you can dupe the local citizenry and a jury or two. It's been done. There's a movie about it.

Latest posts

Back