Bad Poppet / Post, exploding beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerkbag

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been carbing a porter for a few days, and last night when I want to attach the liquid (pin-lock) connector, I couldn't for the life of me get the pins to lock. I tried 3 different lines but it was like the post wasn't "tall" enough or something -- the rotating sleeve just couldn't get low enough to turn and lock in place. After mulling it over for awhile I decided to bleed the keg and change the liquid post with one from one of my unused kegs. Test for leaks and all seems well.

But when I hook up the line and try a pour I see there is tons of air getting in the line somehow. So (here comes the mistake) I open the keezer, and pull the liquid connector off, and immediately have a 10 second spray of porter *everywhere* coming out the liquid post before I manage to get the gas off & bled.

Has anyone ever had anything like this happen? It was almost as if the poppet somehow jammed open? I have learned my lesson that with used kegs you shouldn't shuffle parts around. For now, in the interest of salvaging the beer, I just put the old post back on after cleaning everything up, so it can continue to carb (it definitely doesn't leak, just can't seem to connect a pin lock to it).

So, my questions: what's the best way to salvage this batch? If I rack it to a new keg, can I do that after carbing? Or, has anyone had this 'pins won't lock' issue before? And the post / poppet that allowed the explosion -- it looks fine, it is possible there was some kind of mismatch between the post and the keg, or should I not even try salvaging, and replace the post, or poppet, or both?

Any help appreciated -- thanks!

Back