Bad Poppet or Bad Regulator.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeSpartaNJ

Reaction score
The other day I disconnected my empty keg to fill and carb. When I got everything back together again and turned the gas on, I set at 30 psi. I checked 10 to 15 minutes later and the psi shot up to almost 50 psi. So I turned the gas to the keg off at the regulator, the the needle on the psi gauge started going up on its own, so I shut the whole thing off.

Today a friend lent me his brand new regulator and it seems to be holding pressure steady but when I turn the gas off on the new regulator, the psi jumps a little bit, but not as much as the old regulator and stops.

What do you think the problem is? Could the poppet on the gas side not be working correctly or do you think it was a bad gauge? The ball lock disconnect seems to be ok.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thank,

Joe

On your regulator, you didn't mention if you set the pressure with the output to the keg on or off. If you try to set the pressure with gas flowing it will always be reading lower than the actual pressure. When it finally fills and equalizes you are much higher than what you had originally set it to. Try setting the pressure with the output turned off and get it so that it's not creeping up like you saw before. Some regulators can be touchy and need adjusted to stop ramping up.

On your buddy's regulator you say that the PSI jumps up a little when turned off. That could indicate a leak somewhere in your system or that you didn't wait long enough for the pressure to equalize. It takes a little while for the keg to pressurize. Spray everything with soapy water to check for leaks.

Back